Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Career advice part 2 redux...

3K views 29 replies 18 participants last post by  gofastbobby 
#1 · (Edited)
So I'm at a crossroads and looking for additional input. Here's my situation:

Started a new job 2 weeks ago. I really like my job. I'm the resident engineer for a large Asian electronic company for GM. That's means I work with both my company and GM to provide the best parts possible. It's a very dynamic, fast paced, every changing position that I'm very good at.

Major down sides are I'm currently a contractor for this company, its a high risk/high reward position as you never know what the business prospects are going to be with GM down the road. Never know if a competitor will out perform yours in the next round of sourcing. That and I have no local support, main team is stationed in California.

I have already applied for a direct position for this company for the position I have currently, so a very good chance (above 98%) of going direct shortly. I've already been contacted about this. I can also use my current position as a spring board for bigger and better opportunities down the road for career advancement.

Now fast forward to this Friday I received an offer from Chrysler. It's a direct employment, UAW member engineering position at an engine plant. It's a mechanical manufacturing position. This position offers direct employment, stability of a long career that isn't like a roller coaster, union membership (if that has any worth), and overtime (never guaranteed).

Downsides are it can be a coal mine job; make good money and advanced in pay structure every 18 months but unless your end goal is to be a supervisor there isn't much room for advancement. You can become pigeon holed, just another brick in the wall.

No job is guaranteed but this job is basically what my father does and he's living fat and happy and been doing the same job for almost 15 years and only had 1 layoff for the fiat purchase. He will retire doing the same job. Also the benefits suck! 8 months before the basic medical kicks in and 3 years before basic dental and vision. My current job, the medical, dental & vision all kick in the first of June.

Both jobs are paying the same (I had to negotiate with Chrysler to match, their original offer was 10k less then my current) and both have roughly an hour drive from White Lake.

So what would you do; go for the safety and security position or go for the high risk/high reward position?can't wait for the whining and batching to start

See less See more
#5 ·
Rewrite
I'm currently employed in a high risk, high reward position where I have to be agile and dynamic but the rewards could be awesome if I perform.

Should I quit this job where I have to perform every day for a cushy union protected, go nowhere job but it's safe?

#6 ·
This is a good way to state things correctly. Like I said I really enjoy what I do and I'm very good at it. This is the same job I was doing before, now just with a different company and a different sector of safety systems. My performance has never been in question, the company I used to work for performance was. That is why they lost business. When I was let go 2 of the managers left and transferred to GM. One is in my new group and all my previous GM leadership had nothing but excellent things to say about me. I was even offered a position back at my old company this week as well but chose to pass.

For me I'm a risk taker as I believe no risk = no reward. My father however is much more conservative and values safety and security. I'm confident that my skills are great enough that I can excel in either position. I've put in the hard work to get where I am now, even when I was told I'd never even get to where I am.

#7 · (Edited)
You need to stay and get some longevity under your belt. If it's as fast paced/ dynamic as you say it is, 5-6 years down the road it will amplify your talents should you want to start looking again/get burnt out.

Kinda like... a big city firefighter (detroit, san fran, chicago ect) with 5 years experience could damn near walk onto any department that gets paid more and has it easier because his experience at a fast paced/ dynamic job shows that he know what to do when SHTF, and can be counted on.

I'll give you a closer example:

A friend of mind got his BA in ME from central. Stage 1: Worked for a fast paced military products company for 3 years and earned his stripes. Stage 2: Moved onto a boring automotive supplier. Did that for 3 years, the Stage 3: moved to another automotive supplier where he quickly became plant engineer. He was there for 5 years and is now Stage 4: an aero-space engineer designing jet engine parts making stupid money.

You're currently in the 1st stage. Gotta earn your due.

#10 ·
I have no arguments with that, I'm enjoying earning my strips and gaining knowledge/skills. I'm not looking to jump to a high level position or anything like that at this time, I don't have that ability or talent right now but later down the road I possibly can if I continue with my path now. My father believes that is risky and I should play things more safely.

#8 ·
Working for Japanese companies will drive you crazy.

Ditto for working in a UAW plant job.

What are your career goals? A resident job is more a line into project management, than into engineering.

I would imagine you already know if you like working @ Chrysler or not. If you don't, then don't go back.

I would not want to work contract for any major length of time, been there, done that.. I prefer large Tier 1 supplers. Large enough to ride out the swings in the market, without the red tape of the big 3.

Meh, get a job and stick with it. Going to start raising red flags to future employers.

#9 ·
I have been on both sides, not necessarily at your level. My advise is keep your current position, you will have greater self respect.
I was self employees for 8 years doing the contract thing, those were by far the greatest 8 Years of my work life. I had the greatest sense of self worth, highest goal setting , I achieved the most progress during those years. I was the most vulnerable during that time, but was the most alive. Do not think that security is guaranteed.:thumb:

#13 · (Edited)
I think you need to get off of your fathers tit and make your own decisions and think for yourself!

But really, its good to take his advice but your parents experiences and life choices are not always the best for what you want. If you can stay dedicated to your job, unlike some of your builds which I have read, I would stick with the higher risk job.

#15 ·
Keep your currrent job. Fawk plant jobs, fawk the union, and fawk stability. Stability and you dont Seem to be friends anyway. Stability is booring and doesnt pay well. If you are half as good at your job as you think you are then finding another job shouldnt be an issue.

#18 ·
I dunno? a plant job as a union engineer> sounds cushy. how ever they do work long hours. but on the up side the union guys get paid for every minute they work. the white collar guys have to put in "free hours" on their dime per say. so take it if you want. it has its perks. if you get in make sure you get to stay in attrition(constant pay grade changes). if you get capped then you die there lol.
on the plus side you get 5% second shift premium and 10% for 3rds. so you can make your own bed. good luck.

#27 · (Edited)
Oddly enough I have almost no personal effects at my desk. At my old desk I had 2 pictures of my jeep when it was together, a water bottle some toothpicks and a jacket. That was it besides my work equipment.

I hate a messy desk :sonicjay:

Ambalamps per request

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.