Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Trailer question......... Now build thread *update Jul 13*

7K views 42 replies 17 participants last post by  Frank01TJ 
#1 · (Edited)
Check it, I am in need of a car trailer to tow the Jeep around. I can't find anything less than 2500 dollars, and i am kind of a cheap skate. I found a old equipment trailer for 400 dollars in my area. the only problem is the damn thing is only 5ft wide, it is 20ft long however.

My question is would it be feesable and safe to extent it out of the sides to accomidate the jeep? The damn thing has 7000 lb torsion axles on it and it looks sound with only minimum surface rust on it.

Thoughts???

#33 ·
Nice! Except for the bolt through tie downs. How thick is that diomand plate it's bolted to? You have to imagine if they will hold during some high shock loads such as a car crash...

#35 ·
do your self a favor and weld some sort of protection over the lights. Im always geting lights knocked off by logs,chains, ramps, people stepping on them...etc. As for the tie downs, how come you dont use the stake pockets?

#36 ·
if you get the tie down bolted into some structure rather than just the diamond plate it will be plenty strong. use grade 8 bolts for more strength.

on second thought make sure that those tie downs are rated for a great deal of strength. they do not look to have the thickest mounting brackets. You need those to hold when you hit a tree going 50 or your air bag will save you just before your jeep kills you.

#37 ·
Holy shit i have been gone for a while. got part of the trailer painted. Finally..... did POR, i was letting it prime itself with rust before paint. :beerbang:

Still gotta do some tounge I. E. weld a new one on and stuff. But that ill probably have to wait considering I am getting stationed in charlotte for the next three years. Gotta be there in two weeks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.