Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

HID Xenon Headlights - digital slim ballasts locally

24K views 132 replies 44 participants last post by  Jamie77 
#1 · (Edited)
See bottom of this post

Since my for sale thread in "parts for sale" has been going so well, I figured I'd contribute to the site and become a "vendor". You can see this thread for feedback/reviews:

Xenon HID headlights - for all vehicles - can even do sealed beams - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

I'll keep that one going, but in the meantime, I'll make a simple post here.

This is what my GT HID kit looks like:

Digital slim ballasts. These are fully sealed in an aluminum case and then painted wrinkle black (a few older kits I have lying around are polished Al)

Can get any size bulb so far that I've found except 9012 for a Maxima and D1S and D3S original equip bulbs. I can get D2R.

Prices are:

Note almost no light into oncoming traffic (aperture was wide open, so you see a little on the truck on the left). I aimed them down since this pic since that distance (stock OEM aiming) was not needed. I have never been "flashed" - ever - and I drive 25k miles/yr.

I also have bi-xenon (a single bulb that moves to create your low and high beam in Xenon on a two headlight car). To have Xenon on low and high on a 4 headlight car, you have to buy two kits. Discount for multiple kits.

My kits draw low power, so relay kits are not needed, but they are nice that they create new, dedicated grounds for each headlight. Relay harnesses are $10 for GL members.

Warranty: Lifetime on my installs, Lifetime on everything except bulbs on kits picked up. Replacements can be picked up immediately, no need to wait on shipping and be w/o the ability to see at night. Bulbs have more than twice the life of halogens (factory claims 6x as much).

Colors: I carry 5000K, 6000K, 8000K and 10,000K. 3000K, 4300K, 12,000K by special order.

As of yesterday, 11/24/10, I signed this over to Scott from Superstarr Tint in Clinton Township. Some of you may know that is where I have been doing installs for the past year. He is a stand up guy and as good or better at installation then myself (and I'd like to think I had this down pat).

All of the people who have contacted me about lights prior to today, I will still get you your lights at my pricing. Scott is not obligated to keep it, though I hope he will for this board.

He will also honor my warranty, just contact him if you have anything that goes south. You can PM me for his number, just don't want to post it publicly.

superstarrtint@gmail.com

See less See more
#15 ·
Thats the best of everything right there. $50 for a standard kit, and you've got both the hi/low ($20) and 55W ($20) options, so thats $90, plus $50 for the conversions, and thats $140. The hi-low's come with a relay harness already as well. Thats what I have in my Jeep. I only carry it in 5000K, though I can special order any color if you let me know in the next 12 hours (putting in a small order).
I see 2 XJs and a TJ in your av - what model would this be for?

#21 ·
Bought two kits for a 2007 GMC Serria (high beams and fogs already had low beams)
I meet with Ryan yesterday (10/23) and picked up my kits. 1st off lets start off with what a nice guy he is to deal with. He was very kind and told me everything i needed to know about the kits.
The weather was crap last night and most of today. But i did install the high beams today. Very easy to install. On the GMC the lights come out super easy. Took me all of about 15 minutes. I secured the Ballast right to the core support with the included screws,I also placed the foam two sided stickey tape in between the ballast and core support. I ran all my wire and secured the with the included zip ties .Everything went great and came out clean.
I will update this post whe i instal the fogs tomorrow (better weather coming ) . Once again thanks Ryan . I will send everyone i know wanting to do the HID upgrade to you.

#27 · (Edited)
What do you mean by odd? I have some uncommon sizes if thats what you mean. I can only really sell kits in pairs of two, however, if that is what you meant. Not sure what I would do with a leftover bulb...

price for a 99 xj? with high and low beam bulbs and new housings. i would like the temperature you have in your jeep in the above pics. i believe you said they were 6000k but im not sure. i will definitely post a review on here along with pics of the install

thanks
$50 sale price + $20 bi-xenon upgrade + $50 conversions is $120. I think this will be the last price I quote for the $50 sale, as I should have well more than 3 reviews on the way. They will be $70 for the base kit at that point.

All the colors that I've seen in this thread are 5000K. I think thats also the only color I hav bi-xenons in at the moment. edit: I lied, I found 6000Ks when alix4d came, and thats what he bought. I also found an 8000K for all you blue fans in addition to my mass of 5000K
That orange jeep is freakin sweet - me and the customer (old Land Rover owner) I had there already drooled over it for 10min at least.

#23 ·
HID Conversion How-To

Ok, on Friday i bought the 55w bi-xenon HID's, headlight conversion and relay harness for my 96 cherokee, i am pleased with the light output of the lights, but i have found that the bulbs have to be in the housing a certain way to get the correct beam pattern (at first i had the bulbs in the housings the way Ryan put them in, but the first night i was driving i noticed that my low beams were perfect but when i flicked the high beams on they would be shining to the tops of trees, so i did some tinkering and found that if you rotate the bulbs 180 degrees in the housings it fixes this), over all im happy with the conversion but there is only one problem with it and it really irritates me, when im driving at night with the headlights on the ballasts create a lot of radio interference of fm radio, i have a newer radio and it only does it with the lights on so i know its the ballasts not sure how to fix it yet but hopefully there is a way :confused:

INSTALL:

1 - First you need to pull you headlight surrounds off (along with the grill if you prefer to run the wires behind the grill, which i did)

2 - Take the four screws on the headlight hold down out (Be sure to hold onto the headlight as it can/will fall out once you take the last screw out)

3 - I found that its a lot easier if you pull the battery out, disconnect your battery cables (negative first), then take the two nuts off on you battery hold down and pull the battery out

4 - You need to push your stock head light harness back into the engine compartment that way you can plug you new harness into the stock harness, I recommend that you take the connection after connecting it to

5 - Now you need to route the new harness wires close to where the headlights are (I ran the wires from the passenger side to the driver side behind the grill) mount the ballasts within reach of the headlight, I mounted the ballasts on the inner fender wall on each side, and then ran the wires from the ballasts to behind the headlights

6 - Now you can plug the headlight wires into the wires from the ballast, throw the headlights back in and then start putting the front of your jeep back together

7 - Now you need to run the new grounds on the harness to a good chassis ground (I actually ran mine directly to the battery to make sure I got the best ground possible but either will work)

8 - Now run the power lead off the new harness to either the positive side of the battery or to the front lead off the distribution block

9 - Now you can connect your battery cables back on (Positive first then negative) and tighten them up and now you can try out the lights

10 - I recommend aiming your light once it is completely dark out, its up to you where you do this but I like to find a long straight dirt road to adjust mine on, all you need is a phillips for 96 and older or a torx bit for 97 and newer (not sure what size)

11 - Comparsion of Sylvania Silverstar with stock harness vs 55watt HID with autopal e-code conversion....

Hope this helps anyone thats doing an HID conversion..... :thumb:

#26 ·
price for a 99 xj? with high and low beam bulbs and new housings. i would like the temperature you have in your jeep in the above pics. i believe you said they were 6000k but im not sure. i will definitely post a review on here along with pics of the install

thanks

#32 ·
HID Install

I picked my lights up from Ryan the other day. I got the 35W Bi-Xenon 6000K kit. Ryan was very nice and helpful, he told me a few tips to get these lights to work like making sure the lights are in the housings the right way to get the correct high beam pattern. Install time was just a little more than an hour.

Ignore the blurry pics, they were taken with my phone because my camera batteries were dead.

The HID kit

I found it easiest to start by mounting the relay (I used an existing bolt on the inner fender well near the battery.) and running the wiring harness from there.

I ran my grounds to an existing bolt behind the turn signals for now. (They will get ran back to the battery soon.)

I mounted my ballasts with the double sided foam supplied in the kit on the radiator support under the top piece that goes across the grill.

Ran the positive lead to the battery and zip tied the wires to and existing cable to make it look nicer than the wire just dangling there.

Put the new housings in and tested the lights before getting all of the trim pieces back on because that would be just my luck to get everything back together and it doesn't work. hahah

Still light out and they are easy to see

I drove it tonight and the difference isn't even comparable. (I'll get pics of the lights at night soon when I can use my good camera.)

With the way the kit is designed, it is nearly impossible to wire it wrong, the connections only have one way they can plug in.
I would recommend an HID conversion to anyone wanting more light from their headlights, it is a super easy kit and the difference is unbelievable. I would also suggest buying from Ryan because he is nice and because it is nice to talk to someone about the kit and installation rather than buying online and not having the option to speak with someone directly.

Alix

#39 · (Edited)
Right now I'm just doing HID's retrofit-style and LED's.

I am getting in all of the resistors and capacitors that some vehicles need, all professionally wired up, soldered, sealed, and plug and play.

The LED's are a big hit - one guy bought $140 worth last night...

I think I may start their own thread as to not clutter this one.

edit: started a new thread here:

#40 ·
Thanks again Ryan, nice guy, quick/smooth install, and the light output is really incomparable to the 55 watt silverstars that were in there.

with the projector beam style low beams I have in the miata, combined with the low ride height I didn't have a single high beam flashed at me, and I made sure to take mostly 2-4 lane surface routes most of the way home.

for anyone wondering if they can do it. it would appear to literally plug+play for most applications.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.