Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

First 4x4 for my son

2K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  kevinr839 
#1 ·
So my oldest is 12 and me and my dad have been talking for a few months about picking up a project truck for all of us to work on together for my son to drive when he turns 16. We ended up buying this 1979 bronco from a guy i work with. It has been sitting for about 7 or 8 years. It needs some body work but not horrible, it came with a good set of doors, tailgate, and some extra parts. The guy said it ran when it was parked but he has not been able to get it to start for a couple years. When we got it home we found the coil was not getting power so we jumpered a 12v wire to it and it tried to start but pumped fuel out of the carb, we puled the carb off and did a quickie carb cleaner de-varnishing and put it back on. truck started and ran, although a little rough. Plans for now are a good rebuild on the carb, put msd ignition on truck ( i had one laying around) and go through the brakes. Hopefully we can go on some trail runs and get some use out of it before he takes it over in a few years.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.