Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

changing a yoke on a ford 9"?

882 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Jeeperz Creeperz 
#1 · (Edited)
Anyone familar with changing a yoke on a ford 9"?

I need to switch over to a 1350 series yoke... I have the yoke but after looking into it a bit I am not sure if I want to take the chance of screwing something up.

I have read that some folks have replaced a seal simply by marking position and even counting the turns before removing the nut. Reversing the order after installing the new seal. I believe the yoke is the same size however I am not confortable with this, hearing that it can be done but the crush sleeve is really made for one time use and if over tightened problems could occur.

Is it possible to remove the Pinion Support/Assembly( and take this to a shop to have the yoke replaced? (Becareful to to loos or screw up shims?)
and is there a place in the Detroit area to take it to?

Or Do they need to entire rear?

Thanks

#2 ·
You can pull the pinion support and replace the yoke. Just keep track of the shims between the pinion support and housing.

You can also use a solid spacer kit instead of a crush sleeve which would eliminate any issues with preload (unless you change the bearings or pinion).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.