Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Running Rich as heck!!!!!!.

15K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  guest 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok again its a 1997 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 5.2L(318). Its running realllllllllllllllly rich. I dont know what it is. I just put a new distributor cap,rotor, plugs, wires,134 AMP alternator, and a new igniton Coil. I dont know what the problem is. But its blowing a ton of smoke out of the exhaust. And it smells like unburned fuel. I put about $120.00 worth of gas in it and only went about 200 miles. Thats not good.lol. Anyone got any ideas?
Thanks, A.J. Hall!.:usa:

#2 ·
pull codes

check coolant temp senser, intake air senser and o2 sensers

#15 ·
Take the sensor out, use a propane torch to make to red. Don't let it get cherry red. After the red is gone, hit it with an air compressor nozzle.

Repeat 3-4 times, and you might clean the carbon out good enough for it to work again.

Worth a shot if you don't have money.

But I'm afraid a new one will pay for itself with three fillups.

#18 ·
o2 sensor bank one is the one on the drivers side bank, near the exh man. that truck i belive has 3 o2 sensors, one on each bank, then one after the cat.

#20 ·
On all OBD II vehicles (96 and later) there are atleast 4 O2 sensors. Two on each side, on each side there is one before and one after the catalytic converter. You should also let us know what codes were pulled. Sometimes an intake gasket leak can trigger the wrong codes, make you use more fuel due to a false o2 sensor reading.

my bad didnt read the date on the thread, its old but learning can be done.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.