Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Starting issue

896 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  akojsp 
#1 ·
Was having a problem starting my 93 5.8. 99% of time I turn key it would start. Occasionally I would turn key and nothing. Try again. Nothing. Get out, pop hood, shut door, shut hood. Try again, Vrrrrooom. Some time later, it happens again. As I am turning key, son shuts tailgate and suddenly, Vrrrrrrooom. So I go to local electric shop and he nods confidently and says brushes in starter are going bad. So, deciding to replace it in September versus January in Michigan, I buy a rebuilt and replace it. Hopped in truck today and it happened again. Is there something else I should be looking for? Or, is it possible this starter is a POS as well?

#4 ·
intermittant problems are a bitch to find, you need to duplicate the problem and try to find it as it is happening.

By "turn key and nothing." do you mean the starter does not turn/engage, or that nothing comes on at all?

Is anything else going on when it does that? Does the dash light up as normal? Radio or anything else on the truck not work during that time? Exterior lights, brake lights, dome light, any dash lights, blower, any chimes that do come on normally, etc.

Im sure its a loose/coroded contact somewhere, but its almost impossible to guess at where that may be.

#5 ·
Yes all the lights come on and everything else works. Just no starter. I will check the cellenoid on the firewall as well. But as far as corrosion, when I replaced the starter, the wires were clean and clear. Same for the battery cables at the battery.

#7 ·
re check your battery to frame and engine cable. I was having a similar problem a few years back, and I would get lights and everything, because the body was grounded.
$10 and a few bolts later, I had a new ground cable hooked up to the engine block directly from the battery and life has been good since.
Asuming your starter is good, and solenoid on the firewall is good, I would look at that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.