Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

302/351w in a '33 pickup

719 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  cglenn 
#1 ·
I asked this on the Ford Truck Enthusiast boards however I doubt they'll help much. I won't bother on the HAMB because I've searched and not found much, and if I ask they'll probably whine about me not searching rather than giving me straight answers.
I would like a pickup truck, however I don't want to sell my Bronco. The Bronco is more of a show truck and not good for hauling. Rather than buying another vehicle to take up space, why not use what I have?
My dad left a cherry '33 pickup. Problem is, I have a '53 Merc flathead in it, basically stock, that has been sitting for 40+ years. Chances are it will need a rebuild, and from a special place. I'll eventually rebuild it, but for now I want this truck to function.
I was thinking a 351 out of an 80s F-150. Take the trans out, and the rear axle. They should have the same bolt pattern and if I'm lucky, the rear end will be close enough to throw in without shortening it.
Motor mounts for this truck are cheap and bolt right in from what I've seen. That just leaves one real problem, making a crossmember to bolt the trans to, and making a driveshaft right?
Is this worth doing, how much time will it take, and how easy or hard will it be are my questions. Thanks.

#2 ·
Don't forget

Exhaust (most likely headers or manifolds and pipes all the way back)
Fuel System if you run EFI
Elec system upgrade as I am sure a 33 is on 6 volt?
Cooling system upgrades where needed etc..
Like you stated drive shaft and axle if needed

Don't forget all those Nickel and Dime shit that adds to Thousand or thousands to get the project complete.

#3 ·
I believe the truck has been converted to 12 volt. The point is to make a basic, simple truck for now. No extra crap. I can make an exhaust for it, the cooling system is the only problem I'm facing but I think I'll be fine.
The truck has already been restored and has just sat in a garage, so the body is fine, all the suspension and brake stuff is fine too.
I would just run carb for simplicity, my friend says to put EFI in it though. Basically how much crap would I need though if I had a donor truck?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.