Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1956 Alumacraft Deep C Resto

18K views 33 replies 17 participants last post by  alboy79 
#1 · (Edited)
So I decided to finally start the restoration of the 1956 Alumacraft Deep C that my dad gave me.

Before: (1/20/13)

Removed Hardware, motor, windshield:

Flipped Boat Over (will begin to strip paint tomorrow):

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
At this point, I don't plan on painting. More than likely, i will be sanding. polishing, and possibly clear coating the aluminum. So, far i really like the look of the bare aluminum, but there is still quite a bit of work to be done. My goal is to bring it back as close to original as possible and find a era correct motor, which is proving difficult to find. This boat will still be a fishing boat as it always has been.

#12 ·
New Updates:

Mostly put back together. Couples things left, I need to finish cleaning the inside of the boat, paint the floor, and mount the speakers.

Inside of the boat (New seat) and floor needs to be painted.

Outside of boat:

I was originally going to get era correct Johnson outboard, but I wanted more reliability (Plan on alot fishing) so I ordered this:

2013 Evinrude 30 h.p:

#18 ·
Very cool.

I'm excited to pull my ranger into my garage this winter for a fairly major redo.
Wiring, New lids to all compartments, maybe new carpet, some fiberglass work (mainly refinishing the gel coat), New livewell system, and probably some motor work. That Johnson stinger has had very little maintenance the 36 years it's been in my family. And my dad doesn't ever fix anything.

#21 ·
Its been a while. But I have got back to finishing the inside of the boat. I put it off a year due to fishing, no garage, and buying a house.

Anyways I had new windshield made for it. Nice and clear..

And built a nice flat carpeted floor.

You can see the inside, where I removed the rest of the paint here too:

#26 ·
Floor is made of 3/8 plywood coated in 2 coats of fiberglass resin for sealing and the carpet is glued on (I didnt want to staple it and puncture the resin). I'm not sure how it will last. But I had to keep it light due how much of the boat already sits in the water and the little transom it has.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.