Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1% prez........"the jiggler"

229K views 2K replies 163 participants last post by  Mr.Green 
#1 · (Edited)
just finishing up my tj and my buddys tj(wheelsofsteele). he did a 60 front w 60 rear out of a 79 ford. had a rubicon long arm so we changed the upper links in rear, tossed the rear trackbar and built a 3 link for the front. i did a 60 front 14 bolt rear,3 link front, leaves in the rear. streched to 103. i built new arms for the front and 2.5 currie joints. will post up pictures and more detail when i figure out how to get these pictures in photobucket. we started mikes jeep july 29 sun night and finishing it up today. his tj is a 1997 mine is a 2003. there is some diffrent stuff between the years.i will give detail on what we ran into.

#367 ·
I hope you aren't putting that LS4 in it that you have pictured there. .
Well since he's not on the throttle very much, it will cut out 4 cyl's and give him great gas mpg!!! :teehee:

#365 ·
Looks to me like he just took a general 5.3 picture off the internet and posted it....I'd say you guys are just looking for a reason to flex your e-muscles

#369 ·
You'd think...... But, given the (I'm pretty sure) 60 degree bellhousing pattern used on that block, it could make a good retro-fit pattern to the jeep transmissions like the 904 or 2.8L 60 degree bell on a 700R4. This would allow you to tuck the drivetrain up into the tunnel and farther back than a 90 degree V pattern. Then swap out the 305hp rated exhaust and find a way to get a starter on it and I don't think there is any E-muscle flexing going on except for a little E-magination at work with some drivetrains that haven't been done yet. :poke:

I'm a Gen 4 rectangle and LS7 port snob myself because cathedral was too conservative and Gen 5 is embarrassing to what talent is left at Gm. :(

#370 ·
well home for a few days. found a bunch of motors.mike r gave me a good contact with a bunch of 5.3's. will have my motor out sunday.pick up the 5.3 next weekend,jimmy(eorp) is doing the computer and harness for me. i am making the motor mounts and jimmy has the plates and parts for that.ordered the adapter kit for my tranny so that will be hear next week also (yes i am keeping my nv3550 stick transmission). will decide on what radiator i want when i get the motor in place.(that will come from speedway) should have everything covered.the motor is a complete drop out with all the sensors.going to keep the manifolds,i don't want to run headers.

the brown truck came when i was gone and dropped off my new coilovers and spring.i will most likely not have it done for harlen(going to just ride with becky) but it will be done for the loony run.

#372 ·
i actually have a radiator jim that might work.if not i don't think the prices speedway has can be beat.i am willing to call them though jim.

#374 ·
i will have becky post some just for you monday...:sonicjay:

#376 ·
so to adapt my tranny to the 5.3 i had to buy the adapter from novak.but there was a catch i found yesterday. since there is no 5.3 built in a stick shift i had to buy a billet flywheel,get a chevy bellhousing to use a chevy clutch and novaks hydraulic setup..this was not cheap.so already costing more then planned, but i should be set from hear on out.
there is 3 different ways to bolt up a 5.3 to a nv3550. it can be done with a close to stock setup but the clutch will not last, guess there is a gap so not enough contact on the clutch.so it wears a groove in the discs and burns the clutch up.you also have to get a special starter that is almost 300 bucks.advanced adapters has a kit with a new bellhousing, billet flywheel and the clutch but they have no hydraulic setup.so there kit is worthless. so i was told i am doing it the right way . was a little more money but should last.

#379 ·
after a bunch more research i think my order will be canceled for the billet flywheel. looks like i can use the parts from a 4.8..have most of the numbers from guys on pirate..we shall see how this turns out.

#397 ·
i will be sticking with drive by cable.i run too much water and i dont want to modify my peddle.

so i almost was going to do the nv4500 and 205 from kevin.but after some research it looks like i have to cut the firewall and will not have a flat skid with a 205.so i am sticking with my nv3550.

anybody know for sure what flywheel i need and bellhousing? from what i gather i can use a flywheel from a 4.8 or a 6.0 w those clutch parts.have to get a hydraulic clutch setup to match mine and a early chevy bellhousing. think i have it all figured out.
my super motor guy ronnie is going to go pick me out a motor next week since i am not home during the week right now..i have 4 to choose from 01's and a 02 5.3 all around 10000 miles.(all drive by cable)

#399 ·
i wish...if i ever get home to work on it i might get something done.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.