Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Silver lake sand dunes - advice

6K views 36 replies 16 participants last post by  Catnip 0_o 
#1 ·
Hey all, well it's about that time of year again and in about a little over a month ill be going to silver lake with my TJ for the 2nd time. Last time I went I was running a stock jeep with no mods and she still did real well. I currently run 31"a and brought the psi down to about 8.

When I was there though I had difficulty desiphering when to use 4L and when to use high. A had some people tell me to use low the whole time and others told me to use high. Should I just be using 4L for steep hill climbs and high for the rest? The guy I met up there told me to stay in 4 low the whole time I was there so I did for a majority but I felt like that might have been overkill.

Is it better on the Trans to shift back and forth or to stock to one gear?

#4 ·
I don't know about other people, but I keep my full-size in 4-hi the entire time. I ran my tires at about 9/10 psi. Never have trouble with any hills. A lot different than a smaller jeep i know; just saying

#5 ·
There was a whole lot of sarcasm in his post. Is it a stick or auto? If it's an auto then low would help keep the trans from working too hard. I usual go in low because it just seems easier on everything. Plus you can't really go much faster than 35 except in a few areas, then put it in high.

#12 ·
X2

You'll get a feel for it once you start driving around a bit. I've taken a few different Jeeps out there and with an auto I normally for 4HI and just stick it in DRIVE. Some hill climbs, if I know momentum/speed is going to be an issue at the top, I'll get as much speed as I safely can at the bottom and then before it bogs down throw the trans in 1-2.

#21 ·
With the right tire pressure u should be able to go just about anywhere in 2wd. Drop it until it looks too soft and then drop about 2 more lbs and it should be perfect.

#23 ·
Alright thanks guys, like I said when it comes to steep hill climbing ill eithe get a good head start in hi or just go low. When I am encountering flatter light hills ill go high. I was at 8 psi last time but was scared my tires might pop off the rims. If I run the 31s at say 6 psi do you think they would pop off the 15x8 rim I have?

Wish I would have bought bedlocks back when I bought my MT classic chromes...but bal then I knew so little about cars/trucks I didn't even know what the point of bedlocks was :(

#28 ·
There is no right pressure, but lower the better when horsepower is limited.

Invest in a really good gauge capable of reading in tenth of a psi increments.

In my deceased grand Cherokee on 265 75 16's I ran 5 psi in the rear and 6

psi in the front and never lost a bead and I tore it up pretty good, sharps

turns, couple of small jumps ect.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.