Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
35K views 334 replies 85 participants last post by  NitzPixs 
#1 ·
Has anyone seen, heard or told rumors of when the next phase will be in or begin?

#4 ·
its not funny but i just talked to a Friend who lives out there he told me the Sunday Crew (WGM) that been going out there every week has messed up the Rocks moving the Rocks off Courses and abusing it just for fun.

Why try to do something good for the park. :(

#6 ·
I talked to one of the guys who works there about a month ago. He had talked to the person in charge of doing the course and said that they was going to skip building the intermediate course. Instead they plan on building and "extreme" course instead. He also said that they are planning on starting it soon and it should be done about the same time of the year that the other course was done last year.

#12 ·
The Mounds is NOT a Government funded park. Where did you get that idea from?

The Mounds is ran by the Genesee County Parks and Recreation and is funded thru two sources.

1.The everyday fee's they receive from ORV user's that use the Mounds

2.Grant funding received from a portion of YOUR 16.25 0RV sticker fee's

They actually ''double dip'' the system by charging you BOTH ways.

This should NOT be allowed!

#15 ·
It really grinds my gears to see the "we got imbred" retards go out there rut the fuck out of that area.. Ive talked to and hung around a few of the main wgm guys and they seem like wholesom dudes that wouldnt do that sort of thing so i dont understand.. i guess the other fucktards that fly their colors and give them a bad name..

#16 ·
It's sad to see how terrible the Mounds is run as compared to Silver Lake. Both government parks funded by our money. One runs like a well oiled machine, the other is worse than any private hillrod park. They don't seem to care if we come or not.

I agree that with the new private parks popping up and trying to find ways to draw customers, that more and more people will gravitate away from the Mounds.

#21 ·
I noticed in the newest issue of offroad magazine they did an article on choosing the correct tire. They used the mounds for most of the pictures. I was kind of surprised they would use the mounds. In the portion about rock crawling they had a picture of their jeep on the pile that is supposed to be the intermediate course. They said something about how they only thought rock crawling was in the west but now they find its everywhere. I hope they don't see whats at the mounds as an example of rock crawling in michigan. That would be an embarrassment.

#26 ·
GCP applied for ORV grant money to build the courses, but I am wondering if there is a plan to include periodic maintenance out there after the construction is done. The east access road has been graded again so stock vehicles can actually get back to the stock course, but the 3 existing courses are all starting to "spread out" some, a process that I am guessing will continue over time - weather, stacking/moving and regular use is going to move everything around some. I don't know squat about building designing and maintaining a rock course, but in order to maintain the level of challenge they initially build someone is going to have to go back every couple of years and work on it. I don't remember seeing that in the "plan".

#27 ·
This looks like they could make it pretty cool if they make some hills like that!!!!

I really wish they would put the rocks in the tight wooded sections. that would be awsome......

#35 ·
Ran up there yesterday! Took my 3yr old with me so had to go easy. And I know, should not be wheeling by myself.:(
First time I have been there with the Jeep, Rock piles in pics have not moved much, I hit the ones on left and ride side of above pics. Pile in center of pic and just left of that (which you can't see in pic) are more aggresssive. The thing is, the couple small piles wanted to just flatten out because the rock are not that large. Interested in seeing how they settle out. I saw Rhino ZJ there and I am guessing he would have hit the larger piles but never cought up with him. They have table topped some of those dirt hills. I was a little disappointed when I walked thru on labor day weekend but they seem to be stepping it up a bit! All in all had a good day run. (super dusty) Keep it going!

#28 ·
QUOTE*
So:

1) Run by the gvmt
2) funded by gvmt

but its not gvmt funded?
END QUOTE*

The Mounds is NOT ran by the Government nor is the Mounds funded by the Government.

No disrespect intended here, but some of you younger folks could learn a little bit if your willing to listen/read correctly.I've been involved in ORVing alot longer than many of you guys are old, and I've been been involved in the politics of it as well.

As already mentioned, the Mounds is RUN by the Genesee County Parks and Recreation [ NOT the GOVERNMENT ] and is funded thru everyday extrance fee's that ORVer's pay when they play there.

In addition to the everyday user fee's that the Mounds takes in, they also receive revenue from EVERY person who purchases an ORV sticker. Last Yr, on top of everyday user fee's that the Mounds collected, it also received grant funding from your ORV sticker dollars in the amount of 100k for 2008.

And the end result with this grant funding money thru the years?

*New fence'e that get ran into and torn down in just a few weeks
*New Culverts [ to appease the Department of Enviro Quality ]
*New Black-Topped entrance way so the guys with leaky ORV's can spill oil all over it.
*Pavillion [ nice to have ]
*Rock Crawl
*Helps to pay the wages of the booth guys SO we can watch 3-4 hired hands sit at a booth all Sat/Sun afternoon and do virtually nothing but play with their been bags,ect

The Mounds Personel does not have a CLUE on HOW to properly run a place of this nature, and until they get someone that does, our ORV dollars will continue to be used and abused.

#31 ·
No disrespect intended here, but some of you younger folks could learn a little bit if your willing to listen/read correctly.I've been involved in ORVing alot longer than many of you guys are old, and I've been been involved in the politics of it as well.
I've been taking a shit on a toilet for 36 years, so that must make me a master plumber.

The county parks and rec department IS government. So, if A=B and B=C, then A=C. So, it IS run by the government.

#32 ·
Yeah im guessing those rocks are for the intermediate or advanced course? They look just like the ones used in the beginner area. I have to agree with the above statement, I really wish they would put some in a few of the trails in the woods. They should take some of the trails and put obsticals on them and range them in difficulty. Then they could even put up signs telling you about the difficulty. But wait that would be like a normal orv park so I doubt that will happen.

#37 ·
I hope those rocks are to touch up the stock course... they arent even intermediate sized. Its funny that the proposed plan had rock height change delta's and they must have taken that as the rock sizes... it takes a rock 60" in diameter to create a 36" delta when an 18" rock is in front of it, some people dont understand that and probably never will. :(

It really would just be easier to move... :sonicjay:

#40 ·
84SCRAMBER QUOTE*
So:

1) Run by the gvmt
2) funded by gvmt

but its not gvmt funded?
END QUOTE*

Since your a ''know it all'' when it comes to Government, I was wondering IF you can direct me and all the other user's of this forum to the DOCUMENTS that indicate that the Mounds is funded and ran by the Government?

#41 ·
Since your a ''know it all'' when it comes to Government, I was wondering IF you can direct me and all the other user's of this forum to the DOCUMENTS that indicate that the Mounds is funded and ran by the Government?
it is ran by Gen County, which is the govt. Simple, isn't it?
http://geneseecountyparks.org/mounds.htm

Mounds ORV Park Rules
Welcome to the Genesee County Mounds ORV Park. While you are here, please obey all of the Genesee County Park and Michigan ORV rules.
Also, please learn how to quote.

#44 ·
He must think that "government" means run by the white house.... He must not understand that there is local, state and national levels of government....

Topwop, for as intelligent as you think you are and as dumb as you say we are you think there might be just one more person out there that agrees with you.... Not the case. We're on the same side, quit trying to argue a useless, very simple and moot point. :thumb:

#47 · (Edited)
Using the idealology of a few of you in here,most everything in our everyday life has some sort of Government tie to it.

That does not mean that it is funded and ran by the Government. It merely stipulates that Government may ''regulate'' certain aspects of that particular subject or project.

The Government does NOT

*Set the fee's for the Mounds
*Do any hiring for the Mounds
*Patrol the Mounds
*Set the rules for the Mounds [ unless its a federal rule ]
* OK Grant Funding for the Mounds

If one is to say that the Government runs and operates the Mounds, than one can also say that the popsicle you bought the other day is also ran and operated by the Government because you had to pay taxes on your purchase and taxes are also a form of Government. Try telling the owners of ''POPSICLE'' that the Governement runs and operates their business.

The Government may ''regulate'' certain aspects of health and safety for the Mounds, but thats the extent of their involvement.

Once again, the Mounds is NOT ran, operated, or funded by the Government :usa:

#51 ·
"The Board of Commissioners is the governing board and policy-making body of County government."

"The county government operates the jail, maintains rural roads, operates the major local courts, keeps files of deeds and mortgages, maintains vital records, administers public health regulations and safeguards public health, and participates with the state in the provision of welfare and other social services."

But I guess the Genesee County website has its head up its ass too.

#62 ·
TOPWOP; *Patrol the Mounds :usa:[/QUOTE said:
I've seen the state boys at the gate and back in the park more than once .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.