Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

View from the stand

41K views 351 replies 65 participants last post by  frdboy 
#1 ·
Post them up :woot:

This is some local property i have permission to hunt, will post my up north spot later.

See less See more
#163 ·
I am assistant superintendent at a privately owned golf course, 800 wooded acres inside a 7ft fence, course takes up about 400 acres. We have a healthy well managed deer population. Goal this year was to reduce the number of bucks with undesired qualities, ie small or bad racks, lack of growth potential, etc.

#167 ·
It is a pretty great job most days. I usually only get to hunt the last few days of the season, depending on how many deer we need to take out. Numbers are down, especially compared to the first few years, but still great hunting. It's always fun to sit with a view of multiple fairways holding a rifle :)

#169 ·

Up near Beaverton. I was in a ground blind all Saturday and Sunday morning because of the rain. I saw 1 doe Saturday night but couldn't get a shot. Tonight was nice so I climbed, unfortunately where I climbed was in a little valley and a doe about 65 yards out on a higher plain busted me. Oh well, next weekend I get to hunt 100 acres of private farm land!

#172 ·
went out sunday and walked up to within 40 yards of deer. 2 does, 2 yearlings. Nothing I would shoot, but I love to try to stalk-walk deer and this is the closest I've ever been able to get. I was able to walk up a trail that I know well, and is very silent. they were on the edge of the creek eating veggies.

Went out last night and sat on the edge of a heavy covered swamp. Saw no deer and about 1592 mosquitos. Hot, sweaty and nothing moving in the heat yesterday.

#177 ·
I've been "adjusting" for the last couple nights, trying to get a shot at this guy, who i thought was an 8. I saw him at 60 yards last night and thought he was a shooter for sure. I adjusted again last night and I had him at 18 yards for atleast 10 minutes eating acorns. Turns out he's only a big 6, no rear spikes. Sticking to my 8 an over program...

#178 ·
we found a dead 2.5 yr 8 point sunday cutting lanes, I didn't grab a picture. Looks like someone shot it on the top of it's neck quartering towards it hard, arrow went in on top of neck and came out opposite shoulder side. Looks like it had been sitting there about a week. cut the rack off.

Another guy also got a nice big doe (est. 7-8 yrs old, she ain't got no teefers) Saturday night.

We are still just duck hunting like usual til rifle season.

There was a very nice 8-10pt hanging around, but we haven't seen him in a few weeks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.