Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

My 151 proof buggy

156K views 1K replies 108 participants last post by  jbsjunk 
#1 · (Edited)
I have wanted a buggy for a long time and decided it was time to start one. It was supposed to be something cheap and simple. :sonicjay: I really liked the way Derek Trents cars looked and thought about just trying to copy his design from pictures but didn't feel right about doing that so I ordered his basic chassis.

Here I am getting the sub frame fit up.

I am running a 6.0 turbo 400 and an atlas 3.0.

I started working on this thing yesterday morning. Really pleased with progress.

I have to thank Derek for all his help and patients. This is one super cool guy. He has some sick build threads on pirate. Also a big thanks to Grassman and frdboy.

See less See more
#315 ·
You will want the exhaust away from the floor as you know. I had my exhaust 1" away from the floor in my jeep thinking it was enough. I burned the heel off my Rocky boot :(

#316 ·
I did a few muffler cuts/designs/builds back in the late 80's for bowtie small and big block motors when I worked for a couple racers at the oval track. There are some neet little tricks to checking flow through the muffler. Sound is a crap shoot though if you make any major modifications.

#318 ·
Well I had a free few minutes tonight so I tore the exhaust apart and modified the muffler. I took a fair amount off the discharge side and only a little off the inlet half of the muffler.

Rough numbers show a 1/2" gain in pass floor clearance.

#324 ·
Seems like I spent all day working on this stupid thing. I got the headers,muffler and tail pipe 85% welded and hangers put on it. Also had to drill and tap the engine block for a bracket to relocate the tensioner pulley and the serp belt on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.