Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Has anyone taken the PCAT exam?

715 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  kerryann 
#1 ·
I know it might be a stretch to think it, but I know there's at least a doctor or two that frequent the board here. Are any one of you a Pharmacist, or has anyone attempted to get into a PharmD program?

For that matter, has anyone taken the PCAT exam? I'm about to take my PTCB exam so I can become a Certified Pharmacy Tech (CPhT) while I'm in school, and I've been getting pretty good scores on the practice exams. Just wondering if anyone's taken one/both of those exams and has any insight into how difficult one is versus another.

Thanks in advance.

#4 ·
:sonicjay: Would it be worse to say that this sport is part of the reason I want to be a doctor?

Doctors take the MCAT. Mike took his test MCAT and got a 32. He is hoping when he gets his masters next spring he can get a 38+ on it. I know for his he found the online test so you know which areas you need to improve in. I sat through the pre-med symposium session where they covered pharmacology and it seemed pretty scary to me, but I have no desire to work in the medical field. His mentor/Orthopedic Surgeon actually gave Mike these guides for the MCATs and he said that those worked better than the pretests. If Pharm is like MCAT then you could take the Kaplin class which is supposed to help with your scores.
Thanks Kerry. I would go out on a limb and say that Mike having taken the graduate courses will probably put him at an advantage with the MCAT. PCAT is supposedly similar, with more focus on Pharmacology/ Pharmacokinetics, and Pharmacy mathematics. I've been studying out of the Mitzner/ Mosby manuals for a while now, but there's only so much you can learn from those. I'm hoping to get a job in a hospital soon that way I can get actual hands-on experience and hopefully start to build some "insider" knowledge. That will definitely help with the test. Plus, the tuition reimbursement at hospitals is usually 100%, so that'll help. :naughty:

#5 ·
:sonicjay: Would it be worse to say that this sport is part of the reason I want to be a doctor?

Thanks Kerry. I would go out on a limb and say that Mike having taken the graduate courses will probably put him at an advantage with the MCAT. PCAT is supposedly similar, with more focus on Pharmacology/ Pharmacokinetics, and Pharmacy mathematics. I've been studying out of the Mitzner/ Mosby manuals for a while now, but there's only so much you can learn from those. I'm hoping to get a job in a hospital soon that way I can get actual hands-on experience and hopefully start to build some "insider" knowledge. That will definitely help with the test. Plus, the tuition reimbursement at hospitals is usually 100%, so that'll help. :naughty:
Working at a hospital is a good plan. I would have Mikey try that if he didn't need to have a flexible schedule for his schooling. If the pharm program is anything like the med programs, you will want to have some volunteer work and direct patient experience too. Mike is doing volunteer work at a nursing home and hospitals over the next year.

#3 ·
Doctors take the MCAT. Mike took his test MCAT and got a 32. He is hoping when he gets his masters next spring he can get a 38+ on it. I know for his he found the online test so you know which areas you need to improve in. I sat through the pre-med symposium session where they covered pharmacology and it seemed pretty scary to me, but I have no desire to work in the medical field. His mentor/Orthopedic Surgeon actually gave Mike these guides for the MCATs and he said that those worked better than the pretests. If Pharm is like MCAT then you could take the Kaplin class which is supposed to help with your scores.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.