Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Just Empty Every Pocket - The Project - IT LIVES!!

48K views 311 replies 50 participants last post by  TVJunkie 
#1 · (Edited)
Here are a few shots of my current project. It's a 86 XJ that came stock with 2.8 that was busted and a missing trans when I acquired it.

As it currently sits, it now has newer 4.0 XJ springs in the front. I have the small block mounted along with the 700R4 and 207 t-case. The t-case linkage is now finished and works great. Need to do the shift linkage to finish off the trans. I'm waiting on money so I can get the radiator and a boatload of small crap to wrap this up.

Here it is in all it's glory.

See less See more
#54 ·
The truck manifolds won't work, the pass side won't agree with anything. Looks like I'll be getting the Hedmans once tax checks are rolling. I did get a front skid and have that half assed installed. I need to rework where it mounts in the front because my rad also uses those mount holes.

It's not like I'm in a hurry..........

#55 ·
The truck manifolds won't work, the pass side won't agree with anything. Looks like I'll be getting the Hedmans once tax checks are rolling. I did get a front skid and have that half assed installed. I need to rework where it mounts in the front because my rad also uses those mount holes.

It's not like I'm in a hurry..........
:sonicjay: I guess not.

#57 ·
I got my Fed Tax check a few days ago so I'm getting the driveshafts done and I'm getting Hedman shortie headers so I can start working on the exhaust.

Yay for me.

I think I'm still well under $1000.00 for the Jeep and everything this far. I think the headers and shafts will put me to that. When I decide to put a good lift under it, then it will get expensive.

#60 ·
Any kind of lift is a year or so away anyway and I wanted some drive time with it to work out bugs and tweak things until all is well. Then I'll go apeshit with a lift.

I'm going to eventually swap a different rear for it and possibly a front, but once it's first form is done, it'll be a driver. After that, who knows.

#61 ·
Got the driveshafts done. D&R did a good job again. Those will go in once I get bolts for the front.

Got the shortie headers. They fit like a glove and clear everything.

I just need to build the exhaust now. And tackle a few little things.

#63 ·
Finished screwing the headers on and re-ran the plug wires. I'm not real happy with those now, but they'll do for now.

Like my shafts?

Got a trans temp gauge in too. No, it's not a knee knocker. Plenty of room.

I gotta put rear brakes in it cuz the current ones are junk. I'm going to replace the hard line front to rear and the lines on the diff, rusted thru and put a YJ rear hose on it, it's longer than XJ. That is next. Then I think I can tackle the exhaust.

Oh joy.........

#73 ·
I am doing almost the exact same build except mine is a 1985. It had the 2.8 with TF tranny and a NP249 T-case. It is the same exterior color but has a beige/brown interior. I see you tore out everything from the engine bay. I was trying to save most of it but I love the clean look of yours. What did you do for a wiring harness? Can I use the same gas tank? Does'nt it have an in the tank fuel pump with a return line? I'm installing a moderately modified 350 with a turbo 350 tranny. I ordered a novak adapter to keep the NP249. I also got the novak motor mounts. I will be getting the shorty headers and aluminum radiator later. It's not going to be a crawler or anything, there isn't anywhere to wheel around here. I just want it to bust some big drifts in winter time so I thing the NP249 should be adequate. I would like to get some advise from you if possible. I will post some pics too.

#74 ·
My underhood harness is all stock, just thinned out and added a couple wires for various things. I'm running the stock gauges with stock senders, gotta keep the sleeper look.

My gas tank is stock as are the lines all the way up front. I picked up a return style mech fuel pump and added steel line to mate to the stock location.

Advice is free. It's the answers that cost ya.

#75 ·
A return style mechanical fuel pump? Not sure what you mean. I have never heard of a "return style mech fuel pump". Where did you get that? I am old school. All I've ever done is sbc's. I put an electric pump in one once but that's the extent of my knowledge of things. Also, what is the electic fan out of? That's a perfect fit. Do you have this thing on the road yet? It looks pretty nice, I hope mine looks as good. I am going for the sleeper look also.

#76 ·
A return type of mech pump is standard issue on most GM cars/trucks in the early-mid 80's. One line in, one for the carb and the small one is a return. The fan is out of a 80's GM front driver. I trimmed it and made brackets to mount and seal it to the rad. Not on the road yet, I'm taking my time picking at things but hope to be driving it in a few months.

#77 ·
Thanks for the info. It's lots of help. I got the transmission back from the shop yesterday and will be dropping the whole thing in this weekend. I think I will tear all the underhood stuff out and rebuild like you did. Looks nice. I'm going to do some painting before it goes in though. Can't have that beautiful sbc sittin' between some rusty rails.

#78 ·
I powerwashed my bay before the swap, nice paint under the grime. Depending on what you do, you might want to think about some kind of lift. Even a budget boost would help the upper control arms from crashing into the motor mounts. I did the budget boost (2" front spacers and shackles in the back) I added a bumpstop spacer to keep anything bad from happening if it does bottom out.

#79 ·
Yes, your engine bay looks pretty nice. I power washed mine also, but it doesn't look as nice. It needs some touch up. I was thinking of a little bit of lift. A couple of inches. I don't know anything about lift kits, but I think I could figure it out. Where can I find a "budget lift" like your talking about? And how hard is it to install. I still have the stock springs in the front, but do I have to swap those out if I'm going to lift it anyway?

#80 ·
If you were to put a regular lift on, then the stock front springs would go. If you did a budget boost, you would put the spacers in and lift the rear (shackles or add a leaf) and get longer shocks, BTW JK take off's are a good replacement for a budget boost lift.

I do lifts on almost everything for a living so it comes easy but if you can read instructions well and do some research, it shouldn't be too hard to do. And are mechanically inclined.

Here is one example.
http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx?partID=12650

#81 ·
Thanks for the link, that helps alot. JK? takeoffs. You gotta remember, I'm an old school classic hotrod type of guy, this is my first foray into 4X4's, I may not get the lingo all the time. I bought this Cherokee off Ebay a couple of years ago and it was supposed to be running, but the guy screwed me and the motor and trans was shot. It sat around in the weeds for a couple of years, I almost took it to the junk yard a couple of times. I have a 66 impala that I am doing a frame off resto, and I also had an extra fresh 350 sitting in the garage. I got the bright idea of using the cast off parts of my 66 build to put this thing together. So i took the 350 out of the garage and put the top end of the 400 sb from the impala on it, and the 350 tranny from the 66 (i'm putting a 4 speed in her) and did some research and found out I could stuff it into the Jeep reletively easy and resurect the beast. So I'm learning alot about 4X4's along the way. I gotta tell you, I'm starting to like it, it looks like alot of fun. I really apprectiate all the info.

#82 ·
JK is the newest Wrangler style. 2 and 4 door, 07 up I believe.

Here is a good site that's strictly XJ. http://www.naxja.org/forum/

It's a fun thing, just watch out. It will turn into a epic money pit because you want to change or upgrade things not to mention breaking parts if you aren't kind to the gas pedal. It can be a challenge doing what some people say can't be done. There was a guy that had a big block in his XJ. Insane.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.