Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Toyota Reliability drops

2K views 28 replies 14 participants last post by  guest 
#1 ·
#3 ·
Pretty typical formula, follows what happened to Mercedes.

Overly aggressive growth targets, too much, too fast, something has to give.

Bleh, our upper management wants to win toyota business, me personally, I want no part of it.

#12 ·
Consumer reports are a load of crap. Everyday i have customers saying but my vacuum is rated the best. ex. Hoover and Dyson, everyone thinks they are great and that is partly the advertising and consumer reports. I would never sell junk like that to anyone. I sell what i know has lasted and is time tested. Everything is different and the only rel way to know is go to someone who works on repairing anything. They can tell you what they see better then anyone. Small business's do better jobs at this in my opinion... why do you support the local 4x4 shops, because they know and they will take car of you. to hell with the mass reports!

End Rant

#16 ·
Your not the Kerby salesman that came to my house are you jk... :tonka:

My fiancee let him in so he would clean our house for free, then gave me the job of getting rid of him.

She said it was funny when our Hoover 2/3 full had almost the same suction that Kerby had when he did his 'tests' I guess he didn't know what to say to that.

and I spent $2500 less :tonka:

As far as cars....
I don't listen to what a lot of the mags say, every one of them is biased in some way, I go talk to people that actually own the vehicle I am interested in before I buy. While domestics have fallen behind a tad, out of all the cars I have had, and my family has had, I think only one truck my uncle bought was a mess. I have always got near or over 200k out of them and hardly touched them as far as major repair. I had to do the intake gasket on my Buick, and some wheelbearings.

If I got a domestic lemon tomorrow it wouldn't stop me from buying another.

#18 ·
but this doesn't mean that the cars they sold that were reliable as hell are now suddenly unreliable.

actually its probably not so much their reliability went down, as it is everyone else's went up, so they don't stick out as much. And its probably only a few models pulling down their rankings.

Blah blah blah.

and when it comes down to it, you have no idea what they basing "reliability" on.

#19 ·
Similar to what someone else stated, I find those reliabilty reports kind of a joke. I remember getting those stupid surveys every time I took my Subaru in for service. I don't know how they can base reliability on say 1 year's data on a vehicle and say weather its great or a POS. Maybe take another survey every other year or so afterwards.

I know my buddy who is an engineer at Mazda says they live and breathe by JD Power basically.

I bought my Tacoma based on past experiences with Toyota trucks; an '89 XtraCab that was still runing strong with a wrist pin rattle at 163k and a '91 4Runner sold at 245k still running like new. I hope that my Tacoma is as good a truck at a 100k as it is now and it wouldn't surprise me if it is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.