Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

group wants to ban studs in mi

8K views 60 replies 28 participants last post by  oz97tj 
#1 ·
#7 ·
They can talk all the want but the section from Sand Lake to north of Howard City was donated to the state by families with written documentation saying that this trail would "always" be open to snowmobiles.

This was not always a park for the elite, it was rail-road released in the 70's by the original lease of "Ben Ensley" to the rail road.

#17 ·
If the cyclists want to gain equal say in what happens to the trails.. lets see them pony up for a trail permit every year... as far as studs vs. no studs.... on groomed hard packed trails, studs definitely are safer.... even more so on ice... track straighter, stop quicker.... it's the people with no control over their throttle thumb that make those damn gouges in the pavement..... it's not a race, why take off like a rocket every time...

#29 ·
i have rode with out studs in the same sled i want studs. ever come to a corner that some asshat with a long track cleared the snow off and than polished it studs help. if you want want to ride wiht out them fine by me but
but i bet you can keep up with the guy with them

#32 ·
if you need studs, keep off all roads, simple as that. you don't need studs in snow when you aren't racing. above is mentioned adjust with a deeper track. bam, problem answered. I see no problem with banning studs or cletes on ANY road or trail.

Until the retards figure out that studs and tire chains cause the same end result in short order, they're arguments are going to be name calling and hot air.

#48 ·
Another point being missed. Unlike in the winter when they aren't even open, in addition to motels, etc. being full on summer weekends so are campgrounds, seasonal cabins, etc... From what I've seen camping as well as sledding I'd safely wager another 2/3 as many people are up north spending money during any given time during the summer. One very easy case in point; Silver Lake / Mears. The town and shops are pretty much all closed in the winter.

#49 ·
I guess bikers put so much money into the economy, they should easily be able to afford to build their own paved trails,and leave the snow mobile asosiations money,trails,bridges alone.after all these trails are maintained,planned,and built by snowmobilers not bike riders.

#50 ·
I'm not going to read all of what was written just put in my .02 cents. I have no issues controlling my sled without studs. I had no issues controlling my last sled without studs or the sled before that. I am also with Barry on where I ride though. I have ridden trails without studs with no problems, I believe it has do with staying inside of your riding abilities. As far as the money goes I also have no idea what it cost to go for a biking weekend. I know I spend half as much when I go up to the UP in the summer for a weekend compared to a weekend in the winter riding.

#59 ·
this whole thread is dumb..

comparing a weekend of mountain biking cost to a weekend of snowmobiling cost is just plain funny.
you better have at least a grand in your pocket any time you go north riding..i spend easily 100 a day in fuel..
i rode 9800 miles in 2003. spent over 30 grand that year. that was not including the enclosed trailer and the truck payment to pull it. a belt for any new sled is almost 200 bucks.good synthetic oil cost more then a bike *** spends the whole weekend on his water, health bars and those awesome spandex padded gay pants.

this is a dead issue.they passed it in wisconsin..i am sure it will pass in mi.

#61 ·
I ride 950 miles a day and my sled gets .5 miles to the gallon. I also burn a gallon of oil every half mile and two belts in that time. Therefore, by my math, you all sound like a bunch of douchers seeing whos penis is longer.

There are numerous places where studs aren't allowed on trails and I wouldn't be surprised if it happens here. If you don't like the idea, then quit bitching on a stupid forum and actually try to fight the rah-tards that are trying to get them banned.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.