Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

w00t!!! Got my wheels dirty. :)

1K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  scottie 
#1 ·
Wow, it feels good to get dirty. :)

I could not take it anymore I had to get some dirt on the Jeep. So Sunday afternoon (about 2pm) my Father, Brother and I went about 40 min south of Grand Rapids, down to Yankee Springs were my Dad use to go all the time with our old Land Rover.

I brought my GPS with me and found a few other trails that I did not know of but where displayed on Google plain as day.

I know it doesn't look like much compared to some of the wheeling pics I have seen here but I would say that it is not bad for a beginner. We also took the time to pick up any trash that we may have seen while we where back there and packed it out. I always like leaving a place nicer than what i found it if I can. This was so much fun and the scenery was beautiful.

See less See more
#5 ·
i wasn't on the trails or home,

hit basset lake trail south then the 90 on to deep lake trail and follow that over yankee springs road and that brings you into the barry state game area. A few more miles of trails are on that side with better hills etc.... also follow yankee springs rd south to wildwood rd. at that intersection is pavement to the west and trail to the east. To the east is a few more miles worth of trail

#15 ·
Actually, KJ's are under-estimated by a lot of people. My folks wheel thiers in northern Michigan with us with no problems, Relatively tame trails, but they are 80.

Our daughter and son in law used to wheel thiers pretty hard at Rausch Creek, Paragon and the George Washington National Forest when they lived near D.C.

If you want to find out more of what your KJ is capable of, check out this site: http://www.lostkjs.com/

Finding local people to hang, wrench and wheel with is always easier on local sites such as this. But the Lost KJ board has a wealth of information. These vehicles are wheeled rather hard all over the country.

Any build up will effect your daily driving. The extent of build up will determine the extent of effect. A modest lift like the 2" the kids have on thiers, allows my daughter to drive the 30 miles to work in downtown Detroit in comfort.

BTW Nice pics. Looks like you had a good day. I have never explored that area, but may just have to now.

#16 ·
Just don't believe everything you read on Lostkj's.com, that place has a pretty good amount of people that don't know much. But it is a liberty, which means its hard find anyone that knows anything.

Btw. what kind of fuel mileage do you get with the 6-spd, i know what my auto gets..........

#17 ·
Yeah I have been finding that out the hard way. So much confusing and conflicting information. I have been on both www.jeepkj.com and www.lostkjs.com. You almost have to take the info and write it out in a pro vs con fashion to make any decision based off the info.

So far my 100% average City MPG has been ~17.5.

I have not taken a full highway trip yet but on the one trip I did take that was about 50% highway I calculated it out to be about 22.3 MPG. But again that isn't confirmed since I have not done a 100% highway trip yet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.