Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

What could be slowing down my router?

3K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  MonkeyBiz 
#1 ·
I connect directly to the wireless router and I get 15+ MB/s I connect wirelessly and I get .5 MB/sec. It is a brand new Cisco/Linksys Wireless N router.

Every computer/tablet in my house is drawing the same speed.

I have rebooted everything.

#11 ·
What speed does the client say it's connecting at? What if you change the type of security? You could try eliminating the security altogether and then test. Then try a different encryption. Bluetooth can interfere with the 2.4Gz band.

#12 ·
Perhaps your intial account download limit is .5kb/sec. It's possible. If you experience increased speed using a computer that id directly connected to the modem, then the issue is with your router.

Have you tried both ways?

#13 ·
connect the pc straight to the modem run a speed test if it is still no high speed then it is an issue with the cable compamy, and alot of cable companys offer free wifi or a small monthly fee like $2 or $3 for there router.... worst case just buy a new one sometimes they just starty to slow down and not function properly for no reason exept there just burnt out

#16 · (Edited)
I was thinking that.

That said, I had a break from work where I wouldn't need the net and did a hard reset and then re-set up the router. Seems to be fine now with 20-30MB/sec downloads like it should have had.

Edit: Well fuck, that didn't last long. Back down under 2.

#17 · (Edited)
Edit: It appears my wireless security cameras are interfering with it somehow. They are not even on this network. I turn them off and all my speed comes back.

Edit 2: moved the receiver for the camera's upstairs, seems fine now, WTF.

Changing channels made no difference.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.