Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Stump Removal

2K views 37 replies 27 participants last post by  Sandals 
#1 ·
I have 2 stumps left by the previous owner.

I don't want to pay to have it ground, and one of them is really too small to pay someone to remove.

I'm willing to try burning them out, but the bigger of the 2 is about a foot from one of my decks.

I've seen the Stump removal stuff you drill a hole for and pore in. But does this speed it up from taking 10 years to decay to 5 years, or from like 10 to 1???

#6 ·
Ive heard that drilling some holes in them, and then pouring Rid-x (septic tank treatment stuff) on them works well. But Ive not tried it

We had a bunch of stumps at our cabin, and we got rid of them using a splitting maul. I just went around the edges until it was gone.

#11 ·
Get a product called "Stump Out" at your local hardware store. Comes in plastic botles about 10-12 ounces. Drill holes in stumps and pour stuff in. Remeate in 2 weeks, and then again in another two weeks. Rotting of the stump is accelerated to the point where you should be able to dig it out in a couple of months.

#16 ·
Note I said to cut the roots first. As far as a strap is concerned they have their place but this is not one. Strap acts like a sling shot if and when the stump comes out. Not saying that the chain is the best method just better than a strap.

#19 ·
Dont use a tow strap ! my cuz put a stump through the door of the xj and into the sub box . Ive had good luck with some digging and mr warn 9500

#27 ·
1. cut as low to ground as possible
2. dump on the highest concentrat of nitrogen fertilizer you can buy
3. cover with 8 inches of black dirt
4. plant flowers (uh-mmm ....legal ones)

Next year, remove, and repeat.

By the third year the stump will be gone.

#33 ·
i was just pulling a stump out a couple of days ago with my 03 rubicon spinning all four tires on concrete and then the stump broke in half and the chain went flying
let me just say i am glaid my truck slid a little sideways prior to the chain flight off and the chain landed right next to my back tire
the chain is 1/2 inch thick link soo heavy flying object

but i also had a 30ft strap and a 10ft strap between the chain and my front bumper

soo good luck with whatever you decide to doo

#34 ·
get a few 30 packs, a dozen friends, some shovels and let them have at it!

Really though, i would dig around the tree and get as many roots as possible. You wont be able to get them all the more you can get the better!

put your strap or chain on it and try to pull on the far side OVER the stump.. Have a buddy throw some stuff under the stump so it wont fall back down.

Dig more around it and keep doing this ....

should be able to get most of the roots and you can tug on the strap a little and probably be able to get it out. If all else fails, call someome with a bigger vehicle!

#35 ·
1.Dig hole around stump, about 2 feet in every direction a foot or so down
2.Cut apart with chain saw or drill holes
3.Cover with gasoline or starting fluid
4.light on fire
5.Open cold beer and tell made-up or over exagerated stories
6.After a few #5's pee fire out and go to bed

#38 ·
I LIKE MY LAWN, that's why it's not going to get pulled.

That and the cut part itself is an oval and measure 3'x4', and the ground slopes up around it by 1' from the rest of the area with big roots going everywhere.

Pulling it would wreck havoc on my lawn, and the time to cut it/ shovel etc isn't worth it, i'd rather decompose it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.