Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Cooper STT v. Nitto Mud Grappler

9K views 20 replies 16 participants last post by  MonkeyBiz 
#1 ·
In the market for a new set of tires. Stuck between these two tires

Cooper STT's and Nitto Mud Grapplers.

http://www.offroaders.com/tech/AT-MT-Tires/Nitto_Mud_Grappler.htm

http://www.offroaders.com/tech/AT-MT-Tires/Cooper-Discoverer-stt.htm

Anyways, Looking for some reviews to me choose.

I don't drive my jeep to often, I currently live in Houghton (MTU), and drive home about every 6 to 7 months (about 500 miles) and only drive the jeep once or twice a week (approximately 20 miles).

Let me know your experience/opinion. If you have a better tire recommendation please post it. Thanks for any info.:rock:

#8 ·
For some reason, you will see a lot of people hate on the Nittos....and 99% of those people are just talking out their ass and have no real experience with them. Normally their buddies cousins friend had a set and he got stuck everywhere, or a guy they work with has a set and blah blah blah...just typical people passing on bad information to make themselves feel better about their purchase.

I ran a set of these, 38x14.5r16 to be exact. My only complaint was the noise, on road...they were some of the loudest MT's I have ever heard. In the mud, they worked well...I never got my heavy ass truck with them. On the sand, drop the air pressure and you can go anywhere. Snow, not the best option...but I was able to keep my rig on the road at all times and never had an issue getting stuck anywhere while playing around. On road, they wore very well...I put 30k+ on a set of them (with an 8000 lb truck) and sold them to another forum member here who is still running them on his Bronco as far as I know, 2 years later. Like I said, on road...they were loud, but wore well and did just fine. Off road, they handled every situation I ever threw at them without a problem. I never rock crawled with them...not really what my truck was built for, so I can't say how they would do in that situation.

As far as the Coopers, I have no experience with them....so I will keep my mouth shut :thumb:.

#13 ·
CTOR has video proof of them sucking donkey balls since our trail guide was running them on M.I.. We pulled him out once and he had to pull cable a couple times when the rest of us drove up. I literally let off the gas and drove up the same area that dude could only make 10ft with my LTB's. Worst tire I've ever seen offroad...........srsly. There is no way they would keep up with an SX either, we seen it first hand all day long. The Nitto's were worthless when it was a little muddy! We had mud terrains, SX's, LTB's, Iroks and some other mud terrain type tire in the group. They really were that aweful.................so call us that 1% with first hand knowledge. I honestly think a BFG mall terrain would have done better than those things. My $.02

#10 ·
I ran two sets of cooper st's, 30/9.50 on a stock s10 and then two sets of cooper stt's 31/10.50 on another s10 with a sawzall lift.I was happy with them but didnt get the miles out of them i expected,and they both sucked on ice.I put bfg km2's on my jeep and i love them,still not good on ice,but they have 30,000 plus miles on them and i bet i will get another 20,000 out of them easy.

#14 ·
I like the coopers because you can get them in Load Range E. If you get them in that load range you get a LONG life out of them, but they are noisy as hell. A couple buddies run them on Diesels. I did just talk to a guy with a TJ and some 33" Mud Grapplers and he seemed to like them as well. But I only have first hand experience with the Coopers. But if your going to DD mostly, I would prolly stick with Coopers.

#17 ·
I have 35" STT's on my TJ. Awesome in the trails and geat with street and highway driving too. I have never been happier With a tire .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.