Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Greed

3K views 41 replies 26 participants last post by  zook94 
#1 ·
I keep hearing that greed is destroying this country. But that capitalism and free markets are great. The reason free markets work well is that we all want MORE so we try harder. Does that not that make us greedy? The USA was started because we wanted to be rewarded for hard work, we founded this country on greed. We wanted to keep our earnings, not send it across the ocean.

Now if you want more you are a bad person, you should share more. If you are the best person at what you do and make 57 gajillion dollars a year your greedy. If I charge $1500 to fix something am I greedy?

I'm sick of complaints about greed, it built this ficking country. It will make us great again. Fuck all the other places, china is greedy as hell, they not only want our money but also our IP.

/rant

#39 ·
i was working at autozone, working around 30 hours a week.. all of us red shirts we're cut to 15 hours a week.... Why? because its close to the end of the period and the regional manager want's his bonus, who cares who can't pay their bills when he's getting a bonus big enough to buy a car.

#4 ·
I don't think it's so much just greed, but it's the short term thinking that looks a lot like greed that's killing us. Shareholders worrying about the quarterly profit vs long term growth. Politicians worrying about the next election cycle vs whats best for the country.

#11 ·
Greed is destroying the country period. I dont believe it is greedy to earn as much as you want but how you do it makes a huge difference... If the way you earn your money effects others in a purposefully negative way then you are a greedy pig. We all do things that others may not agree with but if the intent is not to harm others than I dont believe it is greed but human nature to provide and succeed. The ways that built this country has slipped due to greedy pigs who dont care about what will happen to others but only to them.

#14 ·
It really depends on ones definition of greed. For me greed is when the desire for wealth overrides moral and ethical restraint.

Greed is destroying the country period. I dont believe it is greedy to earn as much as you want but how you do it makes a huge difference... ....
X1000

Documented example please.
kwame?
JD Rockafeller?

how about anyone that uses politics to achieve wealth, or anyone that practices anti-competitive/monopolistic tendencies at the top of their game
Here is simple example which happens all over this country. The business we shared a building with for a short time was run by an owner who knowingly put his employees at unnecessary risk mixing noxious chemicals (they would feel sick and have to go home early). He did not pay his debts and changed company names on a regular basis to avoid those debts. He is a greedy, selfish bastard who will do anything and take advantage of anyone to make a buck.

Part of what is bringing this country down it is a lack of true leadership (ie leading by example) and the general acceptance that the ends justify the means, that it is ok to do anything to accumulate wealth.

#16 ·
Here is simple example which happens all over this country. The business we shared a building with for a short time was run by an owner who knowingly put his employees at unnecessary risk mixing noxious chemicals (they would feel sick and have to go home early). He did not pay his debts and changed company names on a regular basis to avoid those debts. He is a greedy, selfish bastard who will do anything and take advantage of anyone to make a buck.
Again, the problem here isn't so much greed as it is short term thinking. These type of actions will prevent this owner from ever having a really successful business.

#22 ·
You want an example of unjust enrichment? Pharmasuitical companies. They take products that in the end cost pennies to make, and charge end users hundreds, some times thousands for their product. Shop around for your next script, you will see what I mean. I had one antibiotic that was NINE pills, and cost $1200. If I ordered it through a canadian pharmacy, the same pills cost $250. If there is that much profit in one script, imagine how much money they rake in with all of the pills that are dispensed in the US.

#24 ·
The products may cost pennies to make, but how much did it cost to develop them?

#29 ·
Or go work somewhere else.

#31 ·
That's not what I am saying at all. I understand R&D costs. Hundreds of millions go into research and that has to be factored into cost plus legal, advertising, FDA, and then profit. Zook's argument of costs pennies to produce I disagree with. But the example of a drug costing $250 north of the border and $1200 here is price discrimination.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.