Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

5.2L powered yj

4K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  treky67 
#1 ·
this is the build for my 1990 jeep yj. I bought the jeep 2 years ago, at first it was a simple soa with a D44 front ford 9" rear. and 35's. wheeled it like that for a year or so and on a trip up to Drumond island my toasted my clutch. And since the drive line was still the stock 4.2L and ax 15 i decided that i was going to swap in a V8. The V8 i picked was the 5.2L magnum. Other things added here and there where front and rear tube fenders, front and rear bumpers and a cage. Ill post updates here and there and if any one has questions feel free to ask. I'm still in the process of finishing the v8 swap, as well as a front end stretch and shackle reversal. I used to have several pictures leading up to this point but lost my phone so most of the pictures will be recent.

this is right at the very beginning during the soa on stock springs with D44, ford 9".

this is completed and the way i wheeled it with stock engine and trans for about a year.

this would be a finished picture after the tube fenders and fresh paint. Also riding on 37' mtrs.

here are a couple close up shots of the front bumper before it was welded and painted.

Here is a shot of the 5.2L sitting between the frame rails. Also shows the front frame stretch to move the axle forward 3".

pictures of the 5.2 in the jeep running and driving with just a few wiring details to button up. overall and really happy with the swap. motor has tons of power and seems to be much more reliable than the 4.2L was going to be.

See less See more
#3 ·
was able to dig up some more pictures from my face book. So here are pictures from the tube fender build as well as the paint part of the build. any questions feel free to ask or post comments.

these are beginning to end of the tube fenders and i'm over all super happy with how they turned out.

and i couple shots from in the paint booth:sonicjay:

#4 ·
First little part of this thread have been a little un-organised but i'm gonna try and get it a little more up to date. Ive since got all the motor and wiring take care of, installed an aluminium rad. The last thing i've got left is to built a new front drive shaft and a few small details. I need a tranny cooler set up, any suggestions?

#6 ·
Looks great I see your from windsor,as am I. My rig is still in the build stage 350/700r4/d60hp/14 bolt rear. I am building up one frame i bought extra, and will take the tub off the real jeep soon. what did you do with your steering with regards to the front stretch. I would like to streach mine to the rear but dont know what to do with the fuel tank,skid pan

#8 ·
Didn't half to change any thing in the front end in regards to steering. I just cut out the frame welded in some 2x4 rectangle 4" longer than the factory frame section and re mounted the steering box in the same location measured front the front of the frame. after that i simply extended my steering shaft. I am running full high steer tho, with an astro van pitman arm. Although the steering works great, i drive the jeep almost all summer. With the 38's i'm running into issues with the steering not being strong enough. So i will be adding hydro assist in the near future, I will also need to add a track bar back to the front end as the leaf springs flex side to side a lot more than i would like.

#9 ·
I didn't stretch the rear of mine at all its simply in the stock location. But you do have a few options. You could remove the gas tank and run a fuel cell in the back, you could get a fuel tank and skid set up from genwright that is designed for a stretch, or ive also seen people who take their factory plastic fuel tank heat them up and create a dimple to allow for an almost 2" stretch.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.