Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

fat guy no more!

112K views 973 replies 130 participants last post by  Shotgun 
#1 · (Edited)
Well I got on the scale lastnight and WOW I'm super fat :( (318.6lbs).so today is the day I start doing something about it! Im only going to drink water(also some beer):teehee: watching what I eat and doing some biking to start.
I will be happy if I can get down to 220-240 range !
Week 1-312.2lbs=-6.4
week 2-302.8lbs=-9.4
week 3-300.1lbs=-2.7
week4-298.0lbs=-2.1
Week5-295.2lbs=-2.8
Week6-293.8lbs=-1.4
Week12?-284.0lbs

#866 ·
I have been stuck behind a desk for the most part for over a year now. Now Im fat (I was pretty in shape when I left the tire shop the last go around). Im not sure what I weigh, but Id guess around 240-250. I dont own a scale and Im going to try and keep it that way. I am going to just try and focus on getting to where I dont look so fat, and add some definition like I think I used to have.

Today I joined a gym again. I finished my truck and I dont currently have any real projects going (other than typical house bullshit). I dont know how I am going to track progress other than how I feel/look because I am not going to focus on my weight. I just want to focus on gymming 5-6 days a week.

#872 ·
My plan of only eating enough to not be hungry is working out so far. Since Thanksgiving dropped from 260 to 225-230 (varies through the week) but since getting run over last month I haven't been able to walk as much. At least I am not gaining it back.

I do need to tone. I have discovered I cannot do even one situp, that never used to be a problem. Working on it.

As far as gyms- they just gross me out. A nice selection of free weights and a bicycle can give me all I need to work out.

#873 ·
Well after 4 years, I can safely say the diet that performed with the best results is the diabetic diet.
Word from an :eek:ldfart:; start now don't wait. Had I been eating properly through my 20's, 30's and 40's I wouldn't be in the predicament that I am now.
I'm holding at 225lbs just under 6 ft. However, I don't get much of the stuff that taste good.

Here's a little scare for you if you don't act while you are younger and you let the type II diabetes catch you:
  • no alcohol
  • limited sugars
  • limited carbs
  • no alcohol
  • side effects such as kidney stones
  • high blood pressure
  • high colesterol
  • hypo thyroid
  • no alcohol
All which probably could have been avoided had I followed the Kickstand regiment earlier.

I do pretty good now, numbers are decent and I'm fairly strong from hitting the gym with my kids, but its not an easy life.

#875 ·
The AHA! moment was when I realized that 'dieting' is bullshit.

Denying yourself something just causes you to crave it.

Your body will tell you when you have had enough to eat if you listen to it.

I eat whatever I feel like eating, I just stop when i no longer feel hungry. The trick is to take your time eating. It's like drinking. If you hammer down a 12 pack of beer, you will pass buzzed and go straight to shitfaced- with eating if you eat too fast you will go past feeling full and go straight to feeling stuffed. Stuffed es no bueno.

It's tough to lose weight when half your waking hours involve sitting at a desk. When I get that 'I need something to eat out of boredom' feeling, I chew gum. I'm not really hungry, but it satisfies the eating urge .

My foot is feeling better, I was up to 8 miles of walking 3 times a week (trying to walk every night gave me hellacious leg cramps) before a right turning car ran over my foot. I can do a mile and a half now before I start to hobble. Hopefully I should be able to do longer distances in another month. Riding the bike actually hurts more, as I have some planar fasciitis going on and the pressure on the arch of my foot is painful.

So much of this is mental. You have to change your way of thinking about food. Way too much of our society focuses on rewarding ourselves with quantity of food, rather than quality of the food.

#876 ·
im still fat. havent gotten fatter yet. I dropped 20. gained back 10. I started dabbling in yoga. 2-3 nights a week at home for about 2 months. im not worried about muscles. I want to be flexible. I get plenty of activity at work. But its the food choices that kill me.
constantly eating out at work and then lazy dinners when i get home.

time to buckle down

#877 ·
The only thing I'll say, is building some muscle, which you may have plenty of from work, helps burn fat. Muscle is hungry, it eats up food, so being a little stronger isn't all about looks.

Yoga is effin' amazing. I know this because I read it on the internet, I need to actually start doing it, I'd venture a guess it would solve a lot of my shoulder problems I've been having.

Flexibility is sooooooo under rated for injury prevention and overall just feeling good. :thumb:

I got burned out last fall after our last bike race and went up to 198, which is a lot for my frame to carry. Back down to 172 beginning of march and now in the 175-180 range. I go up and down a lot, I need to be more focused and just stay under 175.

#878 ·
I eat well at home, it's lunch and soda at work that kill me. 4 years ago I cut out all soda and stopped going out for lunch. I'd have a few cheese sticks & crackers or tuna or hard boiled eggs. Then I started going back out again, got in a funk, started having a pop in the afternoon for a pick me up and here I am again.

I developed plantar fasciitis in my left foot and it makes activity almost non existent. What a PITA! There is no good way to get rid of it other than don't stress it and wear proper shoes and heel support. Every time I think it's getting better I over stress it again and I start over. Very discouraging but I'm starting to be able to manage it better. Example: it's been feeling good. Last night I shoveled and wheeled 5 wheel barrows of sand. The toughest part was holding it back going down a hill. This morning my heel is killing me so I'll be hobbling around for a week again. :(

#882 ·
I developed plantar fasciitis in my left foot and it makes activity almost non existent.
do you swim? I usually find swimming extremely exhausting and not too painfull joint wise. I bet the lake is still a bit cold though. :teehee:

#879 ·
Dealing with Injury sucks....it's a catch 22, anytime I'm banged up I tend to lose motivation, eat like shit, and gain weight.

As boring as it can be, have you considered a stationary bike to take the impact off your foot and burn a few calories? Even just a 30 minute TV show at a moderate pace would help. Also would give the foot some time to heal....lose a few pounds, foot is under less stress, etc.

#883 ·
That too. But I figured if I suggested that it would just be another kickstand rides bikes thread and suggests that as the best way in the world to not be out of shape. lol :sonicjay:

I like the bones plan too....I've been finding myself being kind of lazy lately and watching too much shit tv

#881 ·
sounds dumb, but you'll be amazed how much better you feel once you cancel cable and unplug the TV. You'll find yourself on your feet and active all evening, getting projects done, doing hobbies, etc and not eating ships and drinking beer.
My "get shit done" workout plan has been working for years. I sit behind a desk 95% of the day, everyday, for the last 3-5 years. I'm not in great shape, but it keeps me from getting too out of control. Cut, hauled and stacked about 2 full cords of wood last night.

#884 ·
We cancelled TV a couple years ago for about 6 months. Basically from the end of hockey season till the beginning of hockey season. :sonicjay: sucks that there is no way to get Wings games without Fox Sports.

do you swim? I usually find swimming extremely exhausting and not too painfull joint wise. I bet the lake is still a bit cold though. :teehee:
Yes I do but not this time of year. This whole foot thing became an issue last fall. I go barefoot a lot during the summer or wear crappy flip flops, sandals, etc which is hard on your feet. It's never been a problem in the past but this year it got me.

#888 ·
Middle of week 2 and I am feeling better and looking leaner already. I fucked up last friday and stepped on the scale after my workout but before I got in the sauna. I weighed in at 233. I will step on it again this friday to see what the change is. I have been going fairly heavy for a guy that hasnt been in a gym in a few years so I dont expect much change.

#897 ·
I float between 225-235 when I'm not concentrating on keeping weight off.

220 is doable with just regular walks and sticking to drinking water.

I can hit 200 if I do nothing but obsess over my weight. That was almost 15 years ago, and meant doing an intense workout with my son's wrestling team 3 days/week, walking 7-10 miles on the off days, and keeping my calorie intake below 2000. I think trying to duplicate that now would kill me.

I've come to terms with the fact that hitting my supposed ideal weight of 175 is unrealistic.

#901 ·
I started changing my diet a few weeks back. I'm down between 8-10 pounds depending on the day. Sticking with it is the hardest part for me. There are so many tasty distractions. Hoping to find more time to start doing a little more exercise, but until then just eating right will be all I can do.

#902 · (Edited)
Started at 198 last October, started tracking my weight in January. Went over 170 today for the first time in a few days. Haven't "worked out" much this year with the new house and all, but have been staying busy with chores and watching what I eat. Goal is to stay in the 165-175 range thru winter, summer time is generally pretty easy for me.

#903 ·
Well, it's time I do something as well. Been sitting at 240 for a few years now and getting older (over 40) I am now feeling like I'm getting soft. I've always felt pretty strong and never looked bad at 6'3" but now I'm just feeling and looking like a slug. I work non stop and my down time I spend with my wife and kids but somehow I need to find and make the time to exercise before it's too late. :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.