Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

used car purchase and now problem. UPDATE PAGE 5

6K views 94 replies 36 participants last post by  Mr.Green 
#1 · (Edited)
Bought a used Cadi CTS (I know, BALLER!) 2005 WITH 55000 Miles. Drove it 1000 + miles it was down almost 3 quarts of oil. Took it back to the dealer, they want to do an "oil consumption test". They say that GM says 1 quart of oil every 2000 miles is acceptable (I think). Anyway it is burning at least 2 quarts every 1000 miles. No leaks, doesnt smoke at start up and havent seen it smoke at all. Must be burning oil at speed or something. Anyway, am I screwed or what? They say they will take care of it but they havent told me what they are gonna do about it. I need to look thru my paper work, but they offered some bs short term warranty. Fudge.

#83 ·
Update: To make a long story short, this dealership has been pissing me off and made this entire deal into a pain in the ass. I get a voice mail yesterday saying that the are going to replace rings, seals, pistons, timing chain, and crank. Should I be scared? A new motor is one thing, but now I will have a Cadillac CTS with a rebuilt motor. I think this could kill resale. IDK, opinions on the situation? At this point I just want out from this car.

#85 ·
If I do try to sell it, rebuilt and new are different. I think I am going to take a big hit on this. I should push for the dealer to take it back. IDK, I like the car but am rethinking this whole situation. How do I know they are doing all the proper things for the rebuild? They are a Cadillac dealer.

#87 ·
Are they going to do appropriate machining to block? boring, honing or just throw new parts in a block with 55,000 miles and hope for the best?

I would push for them to take it back and let them fix it and resell it, find yourself another one.

#94 ·
I think That they may not change the pistons unless there are undersize. they should at least hone it and rering. ,Ill bet though that the pistons are undersized and need replacing. At some point your going to have to trust them. and if they screw you then they have to look forward to seeing you again and often. Ive been in a situ. like this and they replaced the short block,but it was a ford. with .030 oversized bore , with standard pistons and rings, Ford new about it long before I found my issues.
They at least need to hone for a new cross hatch pattern to seat the new rings. Hopefully they measure the bores properly!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.