Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

burning oil now.. damnit

2K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  clarkstoncracker 
#1 ·
changed the oil in my truck after the cam break in.

drove 100ish miles and it was BLACK and about a half a quart low.
it burns oil.

i think its the rings.
any options besides replacing the rings?

#4 ·
The head has about 100 miles since getting it back from the machine shop. No need for shrugs.
Pretty sure they went though and did every thing. That was when my brother owned it so i dont know all the details but they should have gone though and done every thing. Thats what the shop said.

3.4 swaps are sweet

#7 ·
i'm going to throw some "engine restorer" in it and hope for the best until summer.

summer comes it might be either a 3.4 swap or a nicer 22RE, this time i think i'd go all out.

i know where there is a complete '96 taco that was rolled thats been sitting for 4-5 years. has nice mud tires on it too, wonder if the guy will sell it.

#8 ·
The black oil could be from exhaust gas going through the valve seals into the crank case, or bad rings/piston. Do a leakdown and compression check to see if it is the rings/piston.

Sometimes people push the valve stem seals on too far on the overhead cam engines.

They can be a bear to install properly on certain heads, and you have to lube the seals with oil so they will slip onto the valve guide without tearing the outer jacket rubber.

You usually have to tap them on with a hammer and hollow tube or a 12 point socket. It's real easy to tap them down too far and it stretches the garter spring of the seal and now it is junk.

If it didn't smoke or loose oil before changing the head, then it's probably improper seal installation. Good news is that you can change the seals in the car if your agile and brave and have the right tools. Or call a good mechanic.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.