Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

*IT'S DONE 5/7* For those interested that knew Grant *IT'S DONE 5/7*

24K views 138 replies 34 participants last post by  Marcy 
#1 · (Edited)
#6 ·
Thanks all. I'm going over there tomorrow to see what I can see as far as what it may need. His wife says a yoke needs to be fixed, if that's it there shouldn't be too much issue. Hopefully I can get a feel for what it needs and what he may have laying around as far as parts go.

#8 ·
#15 ·
Thanks for all the offers of support guys. I'm looking it over today before I even bring it over here, if she even wants me too, and I'll get a plan together. I'd be willing to bet that it won't need too much and between us all we could find whatever parts it may need if it's something I cannot make. I'll report back later. Thanks again.

#17 ·
OK, updates will be here and here only for now on.

I just went and looked at it and gotta say it is in FAR better shape than I thought and that the pics don't do it justice......not yet anyway. I was thinking it was a $2500-3000 rig, but now believe to the right person it is worth more, maybe not 5k, but closer.

The part it needs swapped out is the intermediate shaft and it comes with it and just needs to be modified a bit and installed and it will drive. The battery is dead but if it doesn't take a charge I already have one lined up for it. The rear tail lights are not in it but are with the vehicle and have new grommets for them also. I would also change the diff fluids and that will allow me to check the ratio and to verify that it has Detroit lockers. I think I will have more time into scrubbing it, vacuuming it, and rattle canning the peeling spots on the body and frame than the actual mechanical work. The body is rust free even though it looks like both rockers are rusted through in the pics. It has a full size spare (same as the other four) and they're in decent shape too. The axles are not just out of a Toyota but a landcruiser. I believe these are even better than the Toyota truck axles, but I may be wrong too. I am going to try and get it tomorrow and can report back once it's on the hoist and I can give it a once over.

Thank you to all of those who have voiced your support and offered to help with the work or with a donation of some sort. The dollars and parts involved should be minimal. I would say that the best way to help at this point would be to help get the word out, and once I have it spruced up and better pics, get it cross posted on some other forums, especially you Zuki guys that may be on some other Zuki forums. Thanks again

#20 ·
It'd be the usual diff stuff, so probably 4 quarts diff fluid and some rtv. I'll probably just run up to the local do it best and get a few cans of semi gloss black and a can of white. I actually already have some white for my pile. lol Other than that I'll have to check the oil and tranny fluids.

#22 ·
Let me know if you need anything, I kind of wanted to buy it but I don't even have parking for the cars I have now.

Grant was a cool dude and I think that samurai was only a few years old when he bought it, so rust should be minimal.

What ever happened to all of his other cars and projects?

#30 ·
Will do. And thanks. Like I said yesterday, it's not going to be too bad of a job and should be able to handle everything in a week or so. My town has a festival this Thursday through Sunday and that includes a garage sale frenzy, the town will be gridlock for four days. Bad enough that they cancel schools because the busses can't get anywhere. I hole up for the week and work out in my shop. :sonicjay: I'll get it worked on this week and weekend. A buddy of mine in a jeep club I'm in offered to come over for a day or two also and he's only a couple miles away. The best way for anyone to help as of now would be to get the word out so she can sell it. I'll have better pics by next week hopefully.

#32 ·
I would like to say Thank you so much to Tab for his amazing offer to fix up and help me sell this zook. And to all the people on here that have either said kind words about Grant or have made offers to help with this project. My boys and I follow these boards and read all the posts and it means a lot. You guys are awesome.

Thank you again.
Kerry

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.