Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Ol' Blue (Updated 1-17-09)

16K views 197 replies 53 participants last post by  OnlyInMyXJ22 
#1 · (Edited)
I ordered a 6.5" high Clearance lift from BDS and got some 35" BFG Mud Terrain KM2's so my truck is gonna go through some changes. I ordered this kit and got everything total for $3400. Dam...Pics tomorrow and project begins on weds. at fenton offroad. Also picked up inner and outer tie rods and a new pit man rod since these need to be replaced anyway.

Future Mods i want at the moment
-3.73 to 4.56 Gears
-tint
-replace the flowmaster knock off brand with a real one.
-throttle body spacer
-if it isnt big enough for my likings i will add a 3" body lift and run 37's.

Heres a picture of the truck. let me know any thoughts and suggestions that are HELPFUL
Tires on it are for sale also.

i ended up getting these rims

Attachments

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
yeah im not to sure really on sound just always hear about flowmaster. im so surprised on how much this costed to get shipped out. 3400 seems high. I should be able to get it finshed by friday or saturday depending on how hard stuff is to heat up and get off for them or if they break anything

#10 ·
im in no way raging on anyones toys. much less a chevy. im pretty sure ive only ragged on one and i was messing around.

i personaly dont care for flow master and they do wear out rather fast. have you ran them before? the rust fast and arent that great of sound. magna flow has alot better sound and is deeper and throater as im sure thats what hes looking for. if he wanted loud he would go with cherry bombs for 20 bucks a peice and 20 bucks worth of clamps.

The bds kit will be worth it in the long run. its a awesome set up and is well worth the money. plus they are made in michigan and have a no question asked warranty

#21 ·
I run Edelbrock headers, 2.5 inch true duals, 2 40 series flowmasters with no cats on the wifes 96 tahoe.Theirs little rust if any on the flowmasters and it sounds fuckin awesome.

#15 ·
i have a friend that has the bds high clearance 6.5" on his
silverado worst lift ever made.... If you got the spacers for your front
axles then you should just send it back and buy pro comp or something different ,
if you got it with blocks instead of springs be prepaird for the blocks to fall
out and the ublots too break.

#31 ·
flow pros sound good too so do magnaflows on jeeps
flowmasters also but on cherokees. Tjs they have a bad drone that gives you a headache and the sound goes away when you go faster unlike the flowpro and magnaflow

you should be fine on the tire rim width i wouldnt run any bigger than a 1250 on it though

#37 · (Edited)
XJ, Sounds like your silverado is on its way to being a nice truck, I have nothing to add as far the suspension but, As far as the exhaust goes Greygoose nailed it. And about the Flowstopper debate :sonicjay:

I did some dyno testing on a customer's 505 inch Big Block Chevy engine. I built it for him a couple of years ago and he uses it in a 1 ton 4x4 pickup with a snow plow mount big tires etc that weighs over 6000lbs. It's always run excellent but he's redoing the truck so while he has the engine out he wanted to dyno test it just for fun really...

It's low compression 8.5:1 for cheap gas and towing with iron oval port heads, RPM air gap intake, Competition Carburetion Holley Down leg 750 Vac. Headers, Reed cams Sod Buster flat tappet hydraulic cam, nothing fancy runs from idle to 5000rpm and idles at about 800 with only a very slight lope.

We ran the engine with some headers, a 12 inch 3 inch extension and a set of Magnaflows. It would make 425 horsepower at 4900rpm and 528lbs/ft at 3300. We then installed his headers and entire truck exhaust system with Flow Master mufflers. It hurt the engine 25 horsepower and 25lbs/ft torque from the baseline. Then we removed the Flow Masters and ran it straight pipe where it was as good as the baseline system. Then we tried the Magnaflows again it was as good as the baseline as it was with a set of $15 12 inch glasspack mufflers stuck onto the ends of the pipes.

The moral of the story: Use a Flow master if you like the sound, Don't use a Flow Master if you are concerned about making the most power with a reasonable amount of sound level.

#39 ·
i had a single flowmaster 40 series in my 2000 silverado and with the cat and resonators wasn't that loud at all and sounded pretty sweet, i couldnt tell any difference from stock tho... i was also running 35's on stock rims and never had a problem with power even with 3.73 gears i could cruise at 70 or 80 no problem and only be like 1700 rpm... your gonna like that setup

#42 ·
I ordered a 6.5" high Clarence lift from BDS and got some 35" BFG Mud Terrain KM2's so my truck is gonna go through some changes. I ordered this kit and got everything total for $3400. Dam...Pics tomorrow and project begins on weds. Also picked up inner and outer tie rods and a new pit man rod since these need to be replaced anyway.

Future Mods i want at the moment
-3.73 to 4.56 Gears
-tint
-replace the flowmaster knock off brand with a real one.
-throttle body spacer
-if it isnt big enough for my likings i will add a 3" body lift and run 37's.

Heres a picture of the truck. let me know any thoughts and suggestions.
Also need a good rim, thinking about just some soft 8's but id like something with machine finish.
Tires on it are for sale also.

i ended up getting these rims
my buddy has the bds high clearance lift and he has nothing but problems because they dont drop the front pig very far and your cv shafts are at such a high angle they break. bad choice!

#43 ·
well its the most expensive one and the guy at Fenton off road wouldn't even let me consider the rough country lift. He says the bds lift is one of the best lifts he's ever seen. so i ordered it after doing my own research. We'll see how it goes but so far so good. i like the non-torsion drop the most and everyone is insisting its going to ride like stock.

Heres a list of parts i got to install
-2 inner tie rod ends
-2 outer tie rod ends
-1 pitman arm
-1 idler arm
-6.5" BDS lift with blocks instead of leafs (will upgrade eventually)
-4 35x12.5 BFG mud terrain KM2's
-4 ultra rogue rims

#48 ·
Just because its the most expensive does not means its the best. Jesse is right the high angle the lift puts to much stress on the cv's causing them to break, which will only continue until you lower the pig... not trying to be mean just tryin to help i would def consider lowering the pig asap or you WILL end up learning the hardway.

#45 ·
haha i know but not much to see but a truck torn apart. i will promise you guys pictures within the next week. i have to work though and now it probably wont be finished until late monday im hoping. what to do when the torsion springs won't come free at either end?

#50 ·
the BDS lift looks good and hold up well. the cv dont a friend of mine has went through alot of them he's running 35's on a 99. also breaks the upper yoke that the cv bolts to..the only good thing is the yoke is cheaper than the cv. lets see the pic's. oh and he cant run stock wheels with his BDS lift they hit the upper arm...

#51 ·
well of course not everyone is going to agree on the same kit but i guarantee you its better than some brands like rough country and sky jacker. i dont know what to do nothing i do will make all of you happy :) will it just break from every day driving?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.