Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

D60 balljoint - upper balljoint coming loose in knuckle/C

2K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  firehawk 
#1 ·
I posted this on pirate, thought you guys might be able to help, or atleast be curious about the issue

I had a strange find in my last post race inspection. The upper balljoint is sliding up in the knuckle.

Sorry this picture sucks, but you can see that the castor wedge on the top of the C has slid up, and spun around. You can see the flat part of the wedge (that is supposed to be outboard on the C) is facing forward, toward the center of the axle. The castor wedge lip is resting on the lip of the C that the previously mentioned flat spot is supposed to allign against

Here is a shot from the bottom. It shows the balljoint has slid up about 3/8" in the knuckle. The bottom of the balljoint should be almost flush with the bottom of the knuckle.

I measured the C, it is not bent.

So what caused this? It has survived 3 TREC races and KOH without any issue. Now on the last race, it moved... I am half tempted to replace the balljoints, tack weld the balljoints to the knuckle, and the caster wedge to the C.

Any other suggestions?

See less See more
#2 ·
I've seen the same happen on a my buddies daily driver cummins. Couldnt get thE caster shim back flush either. Seen the same on a few other trucks with. I negative results as long as caster was correct

#4 ·
yep, lower hasn't moved at all

and obviously the nut on the top hasn't moved either, as it is pinned in place. The whole upper balljoint and wedge just slid up.

#12 ·
we just had this problem on a superduty, the caster bushing is worn out causing it to rise up like the, it is pulling on the ball joint, and it makes the truck drive like shit on the road. the truck was driving bad and we couldn't figure out why, the truck is at clydes in pontiac right now, they just called today and told us about that bushing rising.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.