Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

WhiteRhino's Latest Mods

Tags
meballs
317K views 2K replies 189 participants last post by  whiterhino 
#1 ·
Sometime late last summer I was talking to Jim about modding his jeep and it snowballed and somehow I got in the middle of it. before I knew what was going on I agreed to build his jeep over again pretty much. The goal was lots of strength and a nice cushy ride while providing clearance for 40's in the future.

The entire build/arguing/problem solving thread is here: http://www.misfitoffroad.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=8991&start=0

it will be completely finished and wheelable in the next couple weeks.
here are a few pictures of the build:

Attachments

See less See more
#123 ·
uhumm................. no.

Ordered 3 driveshafts from Hi angle. Short story is I'm not impressed. The rear is the wrong length, the upper front didn't have the conversion joint, the carrier bearing is a piece of shit which I won't use and the length of the front is questionable. We'll be talking here in another couple hours.

Front and rear are totally buttoned up except for limiting straps. Gas tank has to go in. Winch mount & pull down to be finalized.

Close...........

#124 ·
Ordered 3 driveshafts from Hi angle. Short story is I'm not impressed. The rear is the wrong length, the upper front didn't have the conversion joint, the carrier bearing is a piece of shit which I won't use and the length of the front is questionable. We'll be talking here in another couple hours.
Bummer, I ordered two 1410 yokes setup for u-bolts (D60 and my Atlas) and I was equally unimpressed. The yokes were fine and the right app (was kinda worried about the Atlas, and that's why I used him), but he sent 1310 series u-bolts. When I called him he sent me one set for the 1410. I had to source the other myself and was rather flippant on the phone with me. I figured because it was low dollar I was getting minimal service, but it was enough to turn me off from him. Bummer that he doesn't treat his big money folks any differently.

So you are all set with the front brake setup? What did you run up front for rotors and caliper brackets?

#125 ·
Yeah, I see a recent thread on pi rate where he has given some shady advice. Bryce is going to call him in a little bit. I hope he's still as pissed as he was yesterday.:tonka:

Front brakes. Reused the D60 hub, welded up one hole & put in the 5 bolt pattern. Turned down the outer side to fit a standard wheel. Did a combo on the back side. Used a std F150 rotor. Determined a diameter that would work to open the rotor some and turn down the hub. Both were machined. Fit worked well.

Bought a caliper bracket from Blackbird but it wasn't anything standared because he had never done a mod like this. (seemed odd) I had to give him the specific dimensions for the caliper bolt locations. We used a std Chevy 1/2 ton caliper. It all lines up pretty well but could be centered a little better by 1/16-1/8".

#130 ·
Not to turn this thread into a driveshaft debate, but my last 2 driveshafts were from Dynotech in Troy. The 2 before were Woods, which were sent to Dynotech to be rebuilt and rebalanced, which were way off ... long story short, I prefer Dynotech.

#131 ·
not to keep this going in the wrong direction :stan: but it isnt a quality issue as of yet, the whole 2 piece front driveshaft industry is making them 1/2 ass'd and that is why there are so many failures of pillow blocks.

I was told "put a smaller bolt in the hole for the carrier bearing so it can move around". I told him that was not the way to do it and that I was really surprized that he would even suggest it. after that he didnt try to bullshit me with a hillbilly fix anymore.

#132 ·
I had High angle in my buggy and never had a problem. He was very specific with what I needed and I was very pleased. I called Tom Woods for the same application and they did not give me the time of day. This was a 2 piece front and a rear so it was not a cheap setup.

#135 ·
Lordy I hope so.:sonicjay: I have a rear shaft that will work temporarily so I can move it. Plan is to button it up tomorrow & put it in the trailer. I have an appointment for exhaust on Tuesday. Then we wait for the front shaft to come back & mount up the carrier bearing. With luck it will be wheelable by next weekend.

So, parade looks doable.:thumb:

#136 ·
Jim had a shaft laying around that would work to move the truck around, we buttoned pretty much everything up. The shocks are sitting with about 5.5-6" of compression so they are an inch or so tall right now, they are also super soft and need some oil. After Jim gets the exhaust on tuesday it'll come back over to get the shocks tweekd and the front shaft mounted.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.