Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Laugh. But I'm serious

5K views 51 replies 29 participants last post by  montecarlo33 
#1 ·
So anyway I'm reading online about deer hunting there is a proposal to change antler requirements. Some want to allow bucks with a certain size rack to be taking. I guess the thinking is older bucks?
So here's what I don't understand.
If I hunt do I not want the "food" or do I only want the "rack".
Wouldn't a smaller/ younger buck have better meat.
If your a hunter you want food?
If your a sportsman/woman you only care about rack?
I never understood any sports either.

#8 ·
I am all for antler restrictions.

I hunt for both food and a trophy....the food part is generally easy as there are tons of mature does out there. Putting antler restrictions in place will do nothing to change that and will do nothing to inhibit people in their quest to fill the freezer. It is no different than size requirements on fish.

As far as trophy hunting goes....neither my hunting buddy or I will shoot a small buck...
They have to be ~120" deer before we consider it. We let them walk and get bigger and we are starting to see some results from this (see pic).....that said nothing irritates me more than seeing a neighbor kill a small buck i have passed on a dozen times just because it has antlers.

Edit: yes the bucks we take are food also....not just a trophy

#11 ·
Some a-holes will shoot deer, cut off the head and take the tenderloins and leave the rest to rot. These people should be gutted alive.

I agree with the antler restrictions and allowing bucks to mature before harvesting them. Too many hunters shoot at the first twig snap just to fill a tag and try to brag on the german shepard size deer they got.
I also agree that fawns taste better, and easier to shoot since they have spots to aim at. Doe meat tastes better than buck if you are going for food only. But, its nice to look at some nice horns on the wall while eating grilled game and drinking beer.

#16 ·
Some of those aholes happen to hunt in lapeer in the state game area there. 2 years ago I hunted out there and near the end of the season on my birthday I went out to get my stand which had a 5/8 cable locking it up was stolen and two deer in the parking lot with one head gone antlers off the others and backstraps missing rest was left to rot. What pissed me off was I was out there two days before and just missed them to where I may have been able to still save the meat.

#19 ·
I'm for the antler restrictions. Every year I pass on four points and under, and even an occasional six er. I watch them walk on the past the property line and wham, the neighbor shot it.

I hunt for meat, but refuse to shoot a little buck. I understand the proposal for the restrictions, and think that is great.

If you are hunting for meat, you should just shoot a doe anyways, not whatever moves. Around my area there are 6 does to every buck, and the bucks never get big because of the Amish and the city slicker neighbors and general white trash in the area.

I've also had to deal with my fair share of trespassers, almost getting shot, and ruined hunts from the neighbors hooting and hollering after shooting their tiny deer. I'm talking the throw it over your shoulder, not even gutted size deer.

The "rules" for the land I hunt is that it needs to be six or better, or four on one side (it has flip flopped over the years). If you shoot an undersized buck or a button buck, you do dishes until the next schmuck does it. The buck rules don't count if it is your first. If you shoot a tiny doe you get ridiculed for ever and ever. Becoming the butt of every deer hunters joke.

#31 ·
Being raised on a farm I have a little different perspective. In most cases, a female animal will taste better than a male. It has to do with the lack of testosterone and other hormones. Thats the biggest reason I like to shoot does. That being said, I would have a very hard time passing on a trophy. I wont shoot a small dear regardless of male or female.

#32 · (Edited)
So I just moved back here from texas.

the hunting there is horrible. antler restrictions in MOST of the state. If you are MANAGEMENT hunting these restrictions hurt your ability to weed out deer you dont want breeding/passing on there genes. Then you have a heard FULL of scrap/cull bucks (they call them in texas).

ALLOT of the hunting that happens in texas is PET deer raised to have big antlers and walk up to a feeder and you shoot them from a few hundred yards away with your 7mag. (you also pay 3500-18000 dollars for a nice buck). AND, most of these high dollar hunters dont even care about the meat. its all for a wall hanger at there house or office

Not impressed.

The hunting is part of the reason I moved back to michigan.

NOW, I can understand seeing a 1-2 year old 6 point and letting him walk knowing he will be a nice deer in the next year or two, BUT I still perfer the government leave me alone and let me make the decision on MY land.

It does suck that people ruin it for others. But you think the poachers that shoot deer illegally are going to care about another law restricting you to shoot "aged" deer? NOPE. Just like anything else. The more laws just make it more of a pain for the law abiding citizens.

at this point I will shoot a doe over a young buck unless he has bad jeans/characteristics.

#39 ·
FWIW, I am also for antler point restrictions in Michigan. The U.P. is currently like this IF you purchase a ‘combo’ license, one tag is for 3 points on a side or bigger, the second tag is for 4 on a side or bigger. You can also purchase a single rifle tag that is valid for any buck, that has one antler 3” or longer. Basically if you want to shoot a unicorn, you can, if you purchase the single tag. But, you have to choose which route you want to go. You cannot purchase a combo tag AND a single rifle tag. In the area where we hunt, the western U.P., this has been in place for quite a few years and we have been seeing some decent results in MORE bucks and obviously bigger bucks. You have the option to go for ‘brown it’s down’ or something with decent head gear. I also like the combo license for the fact that if I don’t see a couple decent bucks in rifle or muzzleloader season, these tags can also be used to take does in archery season. Also, in certain areas, there are private and public land doe tags. Gives you a lot of options to fill the freezer and go for a potential trophy. Another thing that I would like to see, in areas that could support the taking of more does (like the southern LP and southern UP), is an earn-a-buck program like Wisconsin has. You actually have to shoot a doe and register it before you can be issued a buck tag. To me, that makes sense. You’re filling your freezer, you’re controlling the population in areas that desperately need it, and probably will be passing up on a few smaller bucks within the first few days of season that might get wise and make it thru to the next year.

#42 ·
Yes, and no. The restricted license of the 'combo' is 4 points on one side statewide. The regular license in the 'combo' is for 1 antler 3" or longer in the entire LP except 16 deer management units, which appears to be almost the entire northern LP, and one small DMU in the UP. And if you hunt S. Fox Island, you need 2 legal points on one side. That is the way I read it anyway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.