Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Recovery question??

1K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  Haggar 
#1 ·
I was talking to my buddy awhile back... we were talking about the truck he used to have and why he got rid of it...

ok, so I guess he was out messing around one time, got stuck in snow, and had to call a tow truck

to make it short:
the recovery guy hooked to his rear axle to pull it out.... is that safe? doesnt seem to be to me

#7 ·
Yes its safe if you know how to do an axel wrap , truck would have been leaf springs . a quality tow chain is laid over the leaf in front of the axel , then comes under the axel on both sides of the spring , This ties the spring onto the axel tube the more preasure is applied the harder it pulls it together . this is NOT a good way to use a jerk strap . a winch applies a steady force .

Semis are commonly hooked in this manner .

#9 ·
I see the old wizard of recovery has already replied.:gman:
I have done it once, and only once. I pulled a stock TJ with no other recovery points out of the mud with a jerk strap wrapped around the axle:
wrapped a 30' strap around the axle/differential housing in a figure 8 pattern.
I made sure I had three witnesses when I warned the owner/driver of potentially bending the tubes.

#11 ·
i was told by a tow truck driver that as long as you have a frame you have a "safer" recover point than the axle. there are sloted holes in the frame and there is a special hook/anker that has like a T-shaped head that you slide into the frame. i know that's also what we used at the dealership when we would straighten frames.

here are some pictures of what i'm talking about.
http://www.bodyshopequipment.net/Clamps12.htm

#12 ·
Grandman said:
Semis are commonly hooked in this manner .
I've seen it done with semis/medium duties several times. It was surprising how many medium duty trucks used to get stuck in construction sites.

Of course, I saw a guy side-pull a loaded cement truck that way..it was spectacularly unsuccessful :tonka: The tow truck driver grabbed his gear and got out of dodge.

#13 ·
scorpio_vette said:
i was told by a tow truck driver that as long as you have a frame you have a "safer" recover point than the axle. there are sloted holes in the frame and there is a special hook/anker that has like a T-shaped head that you slide into the frame. i know that's also what we used at the dealership when we would straighten frames.

here are some pictures of what i'm talking about.
http://www.bodyshopequipment.net/Clamps12.htm
Those are not to be used when snatching at all. ever. Jamming a hook in there is up there in the dumb things you can do list.

As far as I am aware they are tie down points only. Not to be used in anything more then dragging a car up a flat bed.

#15 ·
Deke said:
Those are not to be used when snatching at all. ever. Jamming a hook in there is up there in the dumb things you can do list.

As far as I am aware they are tie down points only. Not to be used in anything more then dragging a car up a flat bed.
i wasn't talking about snatching. usually road recovery is done by winching isn't it???

and how would it jam when the anker is specifically designed for those slots???

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.