Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Wheeling state land next weekend

3K views 24 replies 15 participants last post by  feva4u 
#1 ·
So the wife and I are heading to the Rose City area the day after Thanksgiving and were thinking of taking the Jeep. I'm a little iffy since it's hunting season, what are everyone's thoughts on running trails on state land during rifle season? I don't want some hillbilly to mistake me for a deer and throw some rounds my way.

#3 ·
Legally, there is nothing saying you can't do it. However, the days surrounding Thanksgiving are usually the busiest days in the woods after the first few days of rifle season. I'd probably avoid it unless you plan on being out after dark just to avoid any issues though.

#10 ·
Just figured I would post this for future info, it's from the DNR's page.

Time Restrictions-- It is illegal to operate an ORV or a snowmobile between the hours of 7 to 11 a.m. and 2 to 5 p.m. on any area open to public hunting during the Nov. 15-30 firearm deer season.Exceptions:The time restrictions on the use of ORVs and snowmobiles do not apply during an emergency or while traveling to and from a permanent residence or hunting camp that is otherwise inaccessible by a conventional wheeled vehicle.The time restrictions on the use of ORVs also do not apply to those retrieving a legally taken deer, to private landowners and their invited guests, to motor vehicles licensed under the Michigan Vehicle Code operating on roads capable of sustaining automobile traffic,

#13 ·
I already got my buck... wheel away! JK, I'd avoid it if possible just because I'd appreciate it if the tables were turned. If you do go, just stick to 2-tracks. Only morons are close enough to these roads when hunting to be affected by the traffic PASSING BY on them. Of course, it is Rose City/West Branch area we're talking about lol.

#24 ·
there are people on these road's all over during deer season. I've been out on seasonal road's a bunch in the last few weeks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.