Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Torque Conv. Slipping, 94 Explorer

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Icebreaker88 
#1 ·
For about the past week or so, I've noticed the torque converter is not locking up as it should. Sometimes it will, then unlock after driving a few miles, and othertimes it won't lock at all. Is this the start of the A4LD problems that plague the Explorer?
I'm going to flush the tranny and see if that helps. The ECM does not show any codes for the trans, only the Air Charge Temp sensor being out of spec.

#3 ·
could be the solenoid pack or a wire issue. And the trans is not cheap to rebuild.
x2.....

Most the "plague" with the a4ld is the fact that it's a week trans, plus it suffers numerous pump seal issues because of the way the bell housing/TC pilot bushing are.....I'd personally recommend looking into an alternative transmission (such as the 5 speed manual) to swap to before rebuilding that one (unless you plan to sell soon)

Also, are you sure it's T/C lock up?? OD is also controlled electronically on that trans as well.......

Only real way to be sure whether or not it is in fact the converter itself would be to do some electrical checks, as mentioned already

#6 ·
Ok. I'm driving down the road, it's shifting fine, rpm's are at 1800 in OD at 55mph. Out of nowhere, I feel a shift and the rpm's jump to 2100. If I throttle it, the rpm's climb to 2600. If I shift it manually, I can feel it downshift in each gear. I know it's not the OD. If you play with the throttle, you can feel the T.C. stalling. It's like I have a 2600 stall conv. all the time.
It did it to me a few days ago. I take it this am, and it's back to normal. If I throttle it, the rpm's don't change unless I hammer it and kick it out of OD.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.