Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

ZOMGWTFBBQ!!! Ambulance to RV to 4x4 Snafu o.0

Tags
bendover
90K views 346 replies 76 participants last post by  greygoose 
#1 ·
Blame Obama, insanity, brain damage... for my next great idea, I bought an ambulance. Now you ask why? Because i say! You shake your head in disaprovement. Do I have an autorama TJ to finish building? Yes and that is my main priority once i buy a house, this is a backburner mental obsession. As a simple justification i have always liked expedition vehicles. Custom vans, offroad trailers and rv's... something with go anywhere capabilities and comfort. I looked into custom vans and 4wd campers are knew they wernt for me as they cost more then what i want to pay for my own house. So the only alternative left is build something :confused: :eek: :fish:

On pirate, i ran across people converting ford e vans to 4x4 and it clicked thats what i want. I did look around for an all ready coverted van (quigley) but couldnt find anything. At this time i ran into this and feel in lust!
yes, that is a 4x4 ambulance. Search Ujoint offroad and six13 metal works for more info. That is when i decided i want an Ambalamps! After 1 week of searching i found myself in Andover Ohio buying this.

Its an 05 Ford E450, 170k miles with 40K on a new 6.0 diesel (yes its a dreaded 6 leaker). Why you ask? Cause i basically stole it! Nothing is wrong with it, just the city that owned it was going private so the firehall basically gave this and 2 others away.

See less See more
#51 ·
Yes and that is my main priority once i buy a house, this is a backburner mental obsession.
This seems to be your main priority right now.

So how much did you pay for it?

What is your budget? (this ought to be good)

Why are you spending any $ on this now?

How much do you have for your down payment on your house?

Where is this house that you are buying?

Will you ever learn?

#54 ·
Very cool. I've seen a few of those converted to campers in the Scuba world. Seems to be a popular low budget base. The square walls make for easier converting than a van, plus offer some additional space. Depending on the builder they are usually very stout, albeight heavy.

I think the whole build plan overall is a good one, with one question. Why swap out the Dana 80 for a much weaker 10.5?

#57 ·
Mr.Green again;337wirg said:
This seems to be your main priority right now.

So how much did you pay for it?

Next to nothing. I won't say cause its no ones business till choose to inform.

What is your budget? (this ought to be good)

3-5k for the interior, 3-7k for 4x4 conversion.

Why are you spending any $ on this now?

I Have only bought 1 item to return the vehicle as it would have been. If batteries are required that is an essential item to preserve vehicle systems, not a luxury.

How much do you have for your down payment on your house?

$xxxxx, fill in those x's with numbers 1-9

Where is this house that you are buying?

If you recall before I was laid off, I was days away from actually closing on a house. I Have been looking while jobless and since I will be working again very soon I can really start house hunting again. Can't get a mortgage with verified income.

Will you ever learn?
What haven't I learned, the truck is in the same condition that it was bought in, minus a few stickers. No harm no foul done.

#60 ·
I'll try and be nice unlike everybody else. It's a very cool idea and I hope you manage to pull it off. I think you're being VERY optimistic about how much you're gonna be able to fit back there, but whatever. Cross that bridge when you come to it. Good luck.

Planning new projects for once you have a house is laughable to me now. I've had a house for over a year and haven't touched the Jeep. It wasn't a fixer upper by any means, didn't need much personalizing, and overall has been about as easy as it gets. Still, no time for the Jeep. I'm finally getting to the point where I can start on it again, but I've also been saying that for 6 months. Good luck.

#63 ·
Andy, you complain one day about the difficulties of buying a house, the next day about needing a job, the next Bout how you are gonna finish your Jeep, then you go and do this and expect everyone to be happy for you. Is it a cool idea? Yup. Are your expectations high? Yup. Is this a total waste of your $ and time? Most likely for sure! It is not like there won't be another ambulance for sale when you get the rest of your shit together. Like I have said one hundred times before, if I didn't give a shit I wouldn't say anything. When I see my friends making poor decisions I can't help but point it out. I would expect the same in return. Anyway, you only live once so go for it. It's your decision if the one life you have is spent in your parents basement surrounded by broke down, rusty, unfinished vehicles. If you are happy, then I am happy for you!

#81 ·
The main communication radios were removed when i got it. It has the siren system but i havent dicked with it more then pressing afew buttons and nothing working. I can hear the siren speakers "click on" but nothing else.

#80 ·
All depends how tall you are and where you are standing. in the center its 5'10" tall but at the sides its shorter. Im 5'8" so i fit ok. next week ill finish removing the stickers. To cold now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.