Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

WhiteRhino's Latest Mods

Tags
meballs
317K views 2K replies 189 participants last post by  whiterhino 
#1 ·
Sometime late last summer I was talking to Jim about modding his jeep and it snowballed and somehow I got in the middle of it. before I knew what was going on I agreed to build his jeep over again pretty much. The goal was lots of strength and a nice cushy ride while providing clearance for 40's in the future.

The entire build/arguing/problem solving thread is here: http://www.misfitoffroad.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=8991&start=0

it will be completely finished and wheelable in the next couple weeks.
here are a few pictures of the build:

Attachments

See less See more
#49 ·
I dont I just like to talk like I do on the internet.

I do believe that the sway bar depends on the rig. My buggy needed a sway bar because whe you would climb anything on an angle the load would shift suddenly to the back lower corner lifting the front opposite tire in the air. Put a sway bar on and it kept the front down. My tj does not seem to have the same problem.

#54 ·
What wheelbase did you end up with?

FWIW, I built my buggy frame from 2x3x0.120", butt welded just like yours, I have no worries that it'll give me any problems when its done.

Granted, I would follow different rules on a stock frame that is work hardened, but I don't see it necessary on new rect tube. Always interesting how people think stock frames are strong.

Looks very nice :thumb:

#59 ·
Bryce would have to answer exact but I think we went about 5 & 5. There is nothing stock about the steering. Yes, reversed.

Since we redid the frame, I can't say whether the tank had good fit to the OEM mounts. I felt the fit & finish was simply OK. It was not deburred anywhere, it still had drill chips inside and the hose fittings were just straight tube without any bulbs or barbs.

#62 · (Edited)
It's hard to get more than 1" of front stretch with the steering box in the stock location and highsteer. If your willing to run a flat pitman arm and limit your bump you can get maybe 3 comfortably.

I moved my box 4" forward to get 4.5" stretch. Seemed like the best option to me.

Looks like he is running an astro box, tilted flat, with a flat pitman arm. Should work well.

#64 ·
Looks like he is running an astro box, tilted flat, with a flat pitman arm. Should work well.
you got it, the box is right up against the radiator so that's what limited the front stretch, I think it ended up being about 5.5 in the front and 5 or so in the rear....

it ended up a little wider than I would have liked on the iroks but that is easily fixable. it's 82" to the outside of the 37" iroks. with my dads creep's it's ~80"

#80 · (Edited)
Oh yeah! If I was paying him by the hour to sit on his ass and look at it, I would have to remortgage my house.:sonicjay:

Tab, the target was to make snofari. I think if we keep going, we'll make it. Just not shure whether it will be 09 or 10.:sonicjay: Actually, if the driveshafts show up next week, we may try to roll it out next weekend. Still gotta take it for the exhaust though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.