Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Project Street Fighter..

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  boggin-machine 
#1 ·
Gay name I know..

:tonka:

BUt I enjoyed playing this game, and my car is named after the fat guy...

See less See more
#2 ·
This thread will document the quickie build up of my 1991 Honda Civic.

The main purpose of this is just something to drive to work and back, with some decent get-up, good fuel economy, good handling, and can drive 12 months a year.

I have a good background in hondas, so this was chosen, since they are cheap, and easy to meet my performance goals..

The car:

1991 Honda Civic STD:tonka:

The STD (standard) were the lightest, and completely stripped of any creature comforts. Not even a lighter was installed in these things..

This one cost me $400, came with some 14" aluminum rims, and 185/65/R14 no-name tires. Also has an unknown brand of shocks and adjustable coilovers. Probably cheap ebay crap.. possibly ground controls/eibachs, though(colors look like gc/eibachs, but you never can tell).

The engine:

A 70 HP / 83 ft-lbs D15. Was a de-tuned version of the 92 HP DX motor. To make matters worse, they were coupled with a widely spaced 4 speed manual. They actually make good low-end grunt, but just have nothing above 4500 rpm. Just a commuter motor..

The Plan:

Drop in a 1990 Acura Integra GS motor. Thats a B18A1 1835cc motor. 90-91 motors were 130 hp stock, the 92-93 were 140 hp with better cams and a better ignition table.

I will be adding a few bolt ons to it: a dented DC-sports 4-1 header, generic ebay intake, K&N cone filter, Crane #12 cams, which are slightly bigger/longer duration than stock, but play nice with the stock valvetrain. And may shave a few thou off the head to gain a couple tenths of compression, and retard the cams about 1.5 degrees without buying adjustable cam gears.

Right now the motor needs a little scotch brite in the bores and a new head gasket and timing belt...

Transmission used will be from a 1992 Integra GS-R. I have the 160 hp VTEC B17A from the GS-R, but its got a hole in the block :( And I don't want to shell out the $750 to make a reliable LS-VTEC motor, so the head and crank will be sold on ebay to finance future purchases..

#3 ·
So, timeline...

The goal is to have it done by Mid-August, to complete in the GL4x4 track day. Should be fun...

I'll also dyno test it once I get a chance. Right now, I'm planning on leaving the stock computer alone, unless I have some time to adjust the fuel maps a little for more top end fuel.

Today is July 23rd.. so I got like 4 weeks.. not much time. I may or may not have it done my then..

Today I managed to get the old motor/trans/axles/exhaust removed:

Here it is waiting for a new motor:

So, the list of things to do:

Assemble new motor
Replace master cylinder
Modify frame and crossmembers to accept the bigger motor
Install new motor and transmission
Modify wiring to accept new engine and computer
Modify and install new shift linkages
Fabricate and install new exhaust
Repalce windshield

Should be a fun couple weeks..

Stay tuned for more Rice-Burning action!

#5 ·
Dunno.. I think that would put about 140 hp to the wheels, which is enough for a fun daily driver.

But, I may turbocharge it later, depending on how it feels. A junkyard T3 should get me to about 225-240 whp, which is good enough for 12 second slips in a civic..

Mainly, its just a cheap car to drive to work. Maybe $2000 into the whole car when its done.

#6 ·
Cylinder head is back from the machine shop.. :woot:

They decked 0.018" from it for me. With overhead cam engines, milling the heads also alters(usually retards) the cam timing, since the head is now closer to the block, its 'further up' the timing belt.

Normally, you'd use adjustable cam gears to zero it back out. However, I'm trying to build this car with no money, and the particular cams I'm using generally like 1-2 degrees anyway, so I'll leave as is, for now..

Compression ratio should be sitting at 9.5:1, which is very mild for a DOHC honda. 11.5:1 would be easily streetable with this motor on pump gas, but then I'd not be able to go forced inducion later(plus pistons cost money, and this is a bare bones project..)..

#8 · (Edited)
gonna be a nice sleeper budget ricer haggar :thumb: Which is infinately cooler than a bling ricer in my opinion. I dont know much about racing hondas but i always liked the early 90s styling of honda with the wedge shaped civic sedan with high trunk deck low hood, same as accord and prelude. Those cars aged very well and still look cool to me today. thats an econo box a big guy can fit in the back seat pretty decent. Jamie approved ricer :sonicjay:

plus they handle like they are on rails.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.