Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Geo Tracker 4x4 help.

4K views 36 replies 10 participants last post by  Yota Bill 
#1 ·
Ok I bought my wife a 93 Geo tracker and she loves it however it's not four wheel drive. And now I just bought a 92 geo tracker 4x4 but it has a broke tranny. Is it going to be easier for me to make the 93 a 4x4 by changing over the four wheel drive stuff from the 92 or would it be easier for me to take the transmission from the 93 and put it in the 92? Both have the same engine in them but one says A2 and the other says A3. I hope that made sence, thanks for the help.

#2 ·
I'm no expert on this as I am sure its been done both ways. I remember them being like Jeep 2wds. they had all the holes just none of the parts. I would think it can be done with a little effort?

#22 ·
I've got a manual trans with case sitting here if you want to go that route...dont have a Tracker anymore, but my nephew still does, which is the only reason I kept it. He's looking to get something different before much longer, so no need for me to keep this sitting around

#23 ·
Ok guys getting started on this project today. I just went out and started it. The tcase was in N I put it in 2H and the Geo moved about 2 inches when I gave it a little gas then didn't move any more. I tried the tcase in 2h 4h and 4l with the same results. I'm going to go mess with it a little more. It does have clean looking transmission fluid in it.

So what's my next step in this project. Is it going to be easier for me to pull the tcase and 4x4 stuff off this one and put it on my wifes 2wd or should I pull her tranny and put it in the 4wd one?
thanks for the hep

#24 ·
well it is very possible to switch the tracker over to 4 wd, I've done it. Its very easy, the only thing that is not on the 2wd, that is on the 4wd is the upper bracket for the front axle is not there. you would have to cut it off the 4wd one and weld it in place on the 2wd one. very easy to do. But you would need a 4wd trans for sure in order to do the swap. As far as the axles go, you should find a manual tracker so you can take the gears out of it, or axles to put in the one your building for the wife. If you run 31's, automatic with the stock gears, your going to wish you bought a jeep. But if you run 31's with an automatic with gears from a 5 speed, your going wish you didn't build her such a sweet ride that will walk all around your jeep.

As far as your trans issue, I would check the fluid level, something doesen't sound right with the it, if it moves and the fluid is not burt, thats just weird. If you need a trans or whatever you may need, contact MR. CRAWL, or myself, he probly has the parts you would be looking for.

#25 ·
Well I'm going to go mess with it some more and see what happens. Fluid is normal level and not burnt as far as I can tell. It moved two inches then I let off the gas and when I hit the gas again it wouldn't move just rev up. The plan is to run 30 or 31's but she can't drive a stick so we have to use a automatic tranny. What gears are you talking about? The diff gears?

#26 ·
yea, the stock gears in the axles of a automatic 4wd are 4.62's and the stock gears in the axles of a manual 4wd are 5.13's. So if your going to run 31's with and auto, your going to want to get the 5.13 axle gears, trust me. with out them, she won't be able to get out its own way. Just to let you know, that and they wheel awsome with 5.13's and a good set of 31's, espeacially with a locker in the rear, ( you can get one for 100 bucks )

#37 ·
replace the 4wd transmission...as already stated, you would need to completely disassemble the 2wd trans in order to swap out the output shaft to make it a 4wd trans...besides, then you would have two working vehicles...could always sell the 2wd one to make up for the cost of the 4wd trans...and the trans shouldnt be too hard to find, since most of these were 4wd

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.