Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

checking out engine before buying

957 views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Bones 
#1 ·
What are some tips of things to check before buying a used engine. Not that is matters, but a SBC. Obviously listening, and oil if running. but how about if it is not in anything, or not able to start it. What are all the possible thing that you can check without starting it.

#8 ·
the copper on the bering is the base metal to waht the babit adhears to. If you see copper that means its time for a rebuild. You should see an alumium color surface.

I would check to ensure the crank turns over like allready suggest. However just because it turns over does not mean its in good shape.

I bought a 351w from a guy 5 years back. Checked to ensure it turned over, it did. Pulled valve cover, it all looked good and clean.

When I tore the pan off when I got it home a few days later.... it was all sludged up. All but 2 piston rings were broken. Needless to say I got screwed. Luckily I did not pay much.

the guy told me it was just rebuild...this and that :blah::blah:

If the engine was rebuilt, ask for documentation / recipts. Take a compression tester as that will tell you if it has good compression. If it does not than you know something is wrong.

#10 ·
the copper on the bering is the base metal to waht the babit adhears to. If you see copper that means its time for a rebuild. You should see an alumium color surface.
A copper line down the center of the bearing if fairly common and can happen within the first 30 seconds of the life of the engine. If you see a wide band or abnornmal copper scarring, then I would think twice about it, but even at that point main bearings are cheap and easy.

I would be more worried about the condition of the cumbustion chamber (cylinder walls, rings and velves). Best way to do that is a compression check.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.