Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Anybody have a 2011 f150 with the ecoboost engine?

26K views 240 replies 74 participants last post by  kmanxj5011 
#1 ·
365 hp (272 kW) @5500 rpm, 420 lb·ft (569 N·m) @2500 rpm, 90% torque @1700-5000 rpm

I'm more concerned about reliability in the long run. It seems like a twin turbo six cylinder sounds expensive to work on once you have some miles on them. Does anybody have some miles on this engine yet?

I'm thinking that engine is the way to go for pretty good gas mileage, and the availability to tow when needed.

#12 · (Edited)
lol..

I don't have one. Really thought about trading in my 09 5.4 for one, though.

I looked fro every review and info I could. Seems like great fuel mileage empty, and 'meh' mileage towing, but a lot of the towing reports were pretty heavy. But the towing power is really well liked in everything I saw.

SUCKS that you can only get the 25-ish gallon tank, not the 35-ish gallon tank.

I don't care if I get 10mpg towing, but filling up every 200 miles isn't good.

I would love to trade my 09 supercrew for a ecoboost supercrew with a 6.5 bed and a 35 gallon tank...

It puts out the torque so much lower than the other engines, even the 6.2 liter doesn't touch it until about 4000 rpm. YOu look on paper and the 380 of the 5.0 and the 420 of the ecoboost don't sound too different but look at the curves. The reports I've seen do say it feels like a diesel with the flat torque curve.

Attachments

#24 ·
That was me, I think I hurt the pride of a few 6.2 raptor owners....especially when I told them it was a stock v6.

I have a little over 3k miles on mine, and so far I love it...much better than my old F150 with the 5.4 in every aspect. One thing ford doesn't advertise is the loaded mpg...they always brag about the unloaded mileage, and power while towing, but forget to mention that they really drink the fuel down while pulling a trailer. It tows great, handles my 24x8.5 enclosed without an issue, but it only gets around 8mpg...and with a 28 gallon tank, I can't even make it to silver lake without stopping for gas.

Mine isn't set up for the best mileage though, 33" MT's with 4.10 gears really drags the economy down. I don't get near the 21 or 22 highway mpg's as advertised, mid teens at best, which was slightly better than my 5.4 was but it has much more power and doesn't hunt for the correct gear while towing like the old truck did. Around town, I have been seeing between 13 and 15 with a pretty heavy foot.

A few friends of mine also have them, and with stock tires and 3.55 gears, one is getting the advertised mileage, but he is only getting around 10mpg pulling a 16x8.5 enclosed. He has over 15k on his already...and those have been some hard miles, not a single issue. Go drive one, you will be impressed. If you can, test drive a similarly equipped truck with the 5.0 and also 6.2. My brother has a 6.2 limited, it feels fast and sounds mean...but he can't catch mine in a drag race, and only gets around 13mpg highway.

#13 ·
I bet soon enough people will have moost controllers and other mods. That torque curve reminds me of the 1st gen SRT4s. Its a computer controlled/limited boost. Thats not a normal curve for small turbos, they should peak torque in the low RPM range then slowly taper down as airflow is choked off. Theres probably 500ft-lbs available in the 2500-3500 rpm range if you ran a straight vacuum source and a low restriction exhaust.

#15 ·
A co-worker has one and he loves it. He says it pulls his 7500 pound travel trailer much better than his old 5.4 did. Unloaded he is averaging just under 19mpg with city/highway/country road driving. He currently has 5700 miles on it.

#18 ·
the one test where they ran a oval track for 24hrs pulling two sprint cars on a trailer was impressive.

Ford had an 1/2 hour or hour long show on that truck/engine one sunday afternoon that I watched. Most of the test they put it through you can see the videos on Fords website.

#20 ·
I think it is awesome. GM really missed out not going to downsized boosted truck platforms. We had some that were built around here around 10 years ago but the focus was on (as often the "usual" for GM) peak horsepower and acceleration times, not fuel economy.

It makes so much sense, it often overlooked. Put a relatively tiny boosted engine in a vehicle that sometimes sees use towing - drive around most of the time unthrottled and get awesome fuel economy - when the demand is there, the boost takes care of it.

Bravo Ford! :thumb:

#32 ·
A PLAN REQUIREMENTS: Members of the immediate family of the above. "Immediate family" means the following relatives of the employee or retiree:

Spouse
Parents
Spouse's Parents
Grandparents
Spouse's grandparents
Sons and daughters (including in-laws and step-children)
Grandchildren
Brothers and sisters (including in-laws, half and step)
Same-sex domestic partners of eligible active employees*
Immediate family members of eligible same-sex domestic partners*

I need to find a guy who works at ford to gay out with me for a day.

#34 ·
My neighbor has one. He tows his 2nd Gen Lightning drag truck around the country with it and has nothing but good things to say about it. We retooled most of the in process test stands for that engine a couple years ago, the test engineers keep getting good feedback.

#39 ·
You know what the difference between owning a ford and having aids is? you don't have to be gay to have aids.

#44 ·
I thought I read there is no power steering pump being driven by the motor to help with fuel mileage. Isnt it an electric motor driving the steering box?

Maybe I read the arwrong wrong, I've been drunk a lot lately

#47 ·
In a hydraulic assist like whats on my 09 F150, its a mechanically driven rack and pinion, with a hydraulic system to help.

In a elecitric assist like whats on the new Ecoboost F150, its a mechanically driven rack and pinion, with an electric system to help.

There's no power steering pump. But that doesn't mean there's no mechanical linkage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.