Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Which xj to buy

2K views 20 replies 18 participants last post by  kixx007 
#1 ·
Im looking to buy my first jeep.First off ive only owned chevys [4 at the current moment],So what year is the best for the cherokee?

#16 ·
98-99 with the 8.25 rear are the only ones I'd go after without being willing to swap out the LP D30 in the 00-01 or deal with the distributorless ignition system. I own a 98 myself.

Heated seats were available in the last couple years. If I had to do it over, I would probably spend the extra time looking for a 2-dr 5-speed.

If you're just going to trail rig it out, buy something 96-down with a HO motor, a non-fully pressurized cooling system, and a non-disco HP D30.

XJ parts are generally easy to find, so its not the end of the world if you find one you like that has the wrong axles in it.

#20 ·
I got my OEM coil pack from the stealership for under $100. And I have over 400K between my 2 XJ's. My currant is a 2000 and my previous was a 2001. Wouldnt buy anything else. Well maybe a porche, Lambo, Ferrarri, Rover, yea I guess I wouldnt buy anything else under $10k. I would obviously look for the newer as possible. 2001 or 2000 if you can swing it. Plus they look way cooler! :chauncy:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.