Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Another craigslist deal gone wrong

3K views 26 replies 23 participants last post by  kevsCJ7 
#1 · (Edited)
so today i was running up north of me to trade a guy his lifted tahoe for my blazer. The day consisted of taking off the corvette rims since the snowfall stopped me in my tracks literally. I washed and waxed it filled the tank and go show up to find out the tahoe has rust on both doors, a bashed up drivers fender all sorts of steering problems, boggers with "50% tread" that were bald in the middle, oil deposits all around the manifolds,cracked grill,crappy interior and many other problems. The listing says very clean rust free tahoe with a 6" superlift suspension and 3" body interior is nice drives great blah blah blah. The lift was a pro comp so that tells you right there he wasnt even sure what he had. Needless to say i was speechless upon arrival and told him it just wasnt a fair trade and it needed work.

Im not going to expose this high schooler or his vehicle for his sake but god am i wrong to be upset driving 40 min. away from home only to prettymuch get a kick in the teeth? I dont ask much but just to be honest with me and that apparently was too much.

I went off on a tangent but this isnt the first time ive dealt with shady craiglist individuals or trades. So how many of you have had sour experiences on good old craigslist?

#2 ·
so today i was running up north of me to trade a guy his lifted tahoe for my blazer. The day consisted of taking off the corvette rims since the snowfall stopped me in my tracks literally. I washed and waxed it filled the tank and go show up to find out the tahoe has rust on both doors, a bashed up drivers fender all sorts of steering problems, boggers with "50% tread" that were bald in the middle, oil deposits all around the manifolds,cracked grill,crappy interior and many other problems. The listing say very clean rust free tahoe with a superlift and 3" body interior is nice drives great blah blah blah. Needless to say i was speechless upon arrival and told him it just wasnt a fair trade and it needed work.

Im not going to expose this high schooler or his vehicle for his sake but god am i wrong to be upset driving 40 min. away from home only to prettymuch get a kick in the teeth? I dont ask much but just to be honest with me and that apparently was too much.

I went off on a tangent but this isnt the first time ive dealt with shady craiglist individuals or trades. So how many of you have had sour experiences on good old craigslist?
Maybe you're too picky. Pics of Tahoe, please.

#3 ·
I would be a little miffed, but at least it wasn't a 2 hour jaunt. You did things you would've done later anyway; gas, spit polish.

I only sold 1 car on CL and made sure to tell the buyer any flaws or issues the car had (He was coming from the Chicago area) and didn't want any surprises. He saw, he liked, he bought, and he trailered it home.

#6 ·
I never really had a problem with craigslist ads, I sold and bought a couple vehicles on there and the worst I got was a shit ton of scammers, but I always ask for good pics and lots of details before I go to look at something; generally if someone doesn't know anything about it or avoids imporant (?) things then i'll just let it go

#21 ·
I wouldn't put the percentages nearly that high.

And I try to read between the lines and try to see what is not being shown in the pictures.

#9 ·
i just sold a truck on cl that had a really bad bondo job with shiny new paint, it looked pretty bad but no matter how many pictures i took and from any angle it still looked good in the pics so i said in my ad that it had bondo and told everyone that called about it that it looked a lot better in the pictures than it did in person. i didn't want someone taking time out of their day to come look at a vehicle they weren't going to be happy with.

#10 ·
Ill say this much, Ive driven more than a few times/2-3hrs one way for nothing POS. And have also gotten...better than described deals off of CL. I do try to get as many cloe up pics as possible. Some times that doesnt help because they take a pic of the good side. Any one who has bought my junk, I tend to send all the anal pics they want and then some.

#20 ·
sandals and batlwgn you two are both mistaken and misinformed. OF COURSE i saw pictures and spoke on and off with him about both vehicles for about 3 weeks. When he asked me about rust on mine i assumed he was picky about his by the way he talked about it. I went expecting flaws but not cancer along the whole bottom of the doors creeping up about 2 inches on the surface of the door and a smashed fender, etc....

creeping i like your method of thinking....great idea but i wouldve saturated my own truck unless i asked for a clean pair of his draws:naughty:

BTW i know my way around craigslist and other sites but ive never experienced someone that completely tried to decieve me as if i wouldnt find out upon arrival.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.