Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

2010 Taurus....Can I tow with this?

5K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  Nuggets 
#1 ·
Has anyone towed with a newer 08+ Taurus? Im looking to tow about 1500 lbs. Possibly tow my clam shell snowmobile trailer. My car is an AWD with the Duratec 3.5L V6. I dont care to hear peoples opinions on how gay it will look.....I know I always made fun of people that towed with cars. Im trying to shave some cost for the upcoming season and not drive my truck and instead use the company car:thumb:

#6 ·
"08+" is not the same as the 10MY you quote.
especially if his 08 has a CVT transmission.
at any rate- appears as though there is literature regarding MAX towed trailer weights. No specifics on what this does to your warranty though. seeing that his is a company car, the warranty may not be an issue....

#13 ·
i googled around and found the 2010 taurus has a tow ratings of 1000lbs or 454kg.
yours may or may not be rated to tow. id haul one sled on a one place trailer behind almost any car. i have towed one sled behind a 93 taurus with about 150 k for a long time. if you have a 102 wide coverd trailer forget it!

#17 ·
I know a guy that put a gooseneck hitch in tha back of a Geo Tracker...its a somewhat small trailer used to haul his 2 pulling lawn tractors, or his old, somewhat small, farm tractor....I thought he meant he used it to manuever the trailer around to park it behind his barn, until he drove it in to work one day...loaded...

#18 ·
I just use that to move it around every now and then instead of the truck. Oh, and the trailer is empty or maybe one sled in it when I do that.

Back on topic though I would be eary about pulling a clam shell with a Taurus if the weather got nasty. Nice dry roads you would probably ok.

#19 ·
we have towed the inlaw's 19' ski boat with our 2008 Ford Taurus X Cross over. not quite the same as the sedan of course, but it too has the 3.5L and the 6 speed automatic.

factory shows a towing capacity at 2,000lbs gross, which we are probably exceeding - but we only tow the boat from the ramp, to the marina 5 minutes down the road.

honestly don't know how it would do on longer distances, but it doesn't struggle to pull or stop it at all (keeping in mind that the boat has surge brakes on the trailer, and that a boat hull is a bit more aerodynamic than a slabsided wide snowmobile trailer)

*shrug*

#20 · (Edited)
My buddy pulled his two place sled trailer all over Michigan and Canada for years, it was a Taurus company car as well, his was an open trailer with fairing but it pulled it fine, better at faster speeds...never smoked a trans....if it is a company car, go for it....I used to tow my Landcruiser to Canada behind a Company ranger...tongue wt. is your friend. Have fun!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.