Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Heads up to Michigan ORV Parks

27K views 109 replies 41 participants last post by  bee 
#1 ·
With all the research I have been doing with the DNR, I have come across a little piece of information that turns out to be a big detail for all the Michigan ORV parks.

Private land owners and their invited guests are not required to license ORV's that are operated exclusively on their private property. HOWEVER, ORV Parks are not considered private property, they are businesses, and therefore, licensing is REQUIRED of ORV's used in areas open to public operations regardless of whether the ORV is owned by a resident or non-resident of Michigan. Thought I'd pass this information on.

#8 ·
Off road parks are NOT PRIVATE PROPERTY. It's open to everyone. If you advertise and have signs up and are registered with the State Of MIchigan as a business, inwhich you have to be to have a valid bank account with your business name on, the land is no longer private. If you receive money for persons to enter your premises for them to receive something in return, such as wheeling, you are considered a business. This is also the reason why all the ORV parks have to carry insurance. If your land is private property, then the land owners home owners insurance would cover any accidents. Off road parks have to carry a bigger and special insurance policy to cover the people who come to wheel. The special liability insurance also applies to any wheeling event, such as competitions held at the off road parks. The parks are allowed to hold compettions, but if these competitions are a timed event, then the park has to pay a higher insurance rate and specifically list the event name because of the "racing to get to the finish line on the competition." If a competition is NOT A TIMED EVENT, and is solely based on a points system, then the park does not need a higher insurance limit.

Anyone can pick up this hand book at their local DNR office. What I posted is found on page 25 under It's The Law! Here are the places you can pick the bookup at:

District # 3 in Crystal Falls, Mi

District #4 in Newberry, Mi

District #5 in Gaylard, MI

District #6 Cadillac, MI

District #7 Roscommon, MI

District # 8 in Bay City, MI

District #9 in Twin Lake, MI

District #10 in Southfield, MI

District#11 in East Lansing, MI

District #12 in Plainwell, MI

#14 ·
Off road parks are NOT PRIVATE PROPERTY. It's open to everyone. If you advertise and have signs up and are registered with the State Of MIchigan as a business, inwhich you have to be to have a valid bank account with your business name on, the land is no longer private. If you receive money for persons to enter your premises for them to receive something in return, such as wheeling, you are considered a business. This is also the reason why all the ORV parks have to carry insurance. If your land is private property, then the land owners home owners insurance would cover any accidents. Off road parks have to carry a bigger and special insurance policy to cover the people who come to wheel. The special liability insurance also applies to any wheeling event, such as competitions held at the off road parks. The parks are allowed to hold compettions, but if these competitions are a timed event, then the park has to pay a higher insurance rate and specifically list the event name because of the "racing to get to the finish line on the competition." If a competition is NOT A TIMED EVENT, and is solely based on a points system, then the park does not need a higher insurance limit.

Anyone can pick up this hand book at their local DNR office. What I posted is found on page 25 under It's The Law! Here are the places you can pick the bookup at:
I don't see where you posted anything that includes verbage the government would use.

#9 ·
Are you referring to this section?

ORV License

The DNR issues licenses for all ORVs on an annual basis. The annual fee for an ORV license is $16.25.

Licenses are valid from April 1 through March 31 of the following year, regardless of the date of purchase.

Vehicles that are licensed under the Motor Vehicle Code as "street vehicles" require an ORV license only when they are being used as an ORV. A street-licensed ORV does not need an ORV license to use forest roads, but it will need an ORV license if it is used on designated trails or in areas designated for cross-country use.

An ORV license is not required for street-licensed vehicles used on the frozen surface of public waters or designated ORV routes.

Private land owners, owners' family members, and their invited guests are not required to license ORVs that are operated exclusively on the owners' private property.

Licensing is required of ORVs used in areas open to public operations, regardless of whether the ORV is owned by a resident or nonresident of Michigan.
Handbook is actually found on line as well.
http://www.offroad-ed.com/mi/handbook/registration.htm

#13 · (Edited)
yep... Nearly every offroad park I've been to, you're joining them as a "member" which might get around this licensing issue (which I don't even think is a law) but more importantly it protects the property owner since you can't sue yourself.

Member's only on the contract, $1.00 a year membership charge, and that is no longer "open to the public"

I'm confused to the first post here. I know 100000000000000% that they can't require an ORV sticker, and I think wavemaker is stating you need to have a license plate and insurance (because you need insurance to get a plate). Oh how I would LOVE to receive a ticket for being on private property and not having a license plate.

I'm really surprised how many people out there bend over and take it deep from these over zealous officers of the law. And I'm not sure how you guys are finding these people at the DNR because everybody I seem to talk to is nice as can be, answers the questions by the law, and will talk about gray area's of the law without issue.

I'd really like to see where in the handbook that you must have either a license plate or even more humorous, a ORV sticker in an orv park.

#15 · (Edited)
Ok, here is the handbook jive, thanks iceman.

Silver Lake Sand dunes
Bull Gap
The Mounds
St Helen's motorsports area

The government views ORV use as PUBLIC LAND designated as such.

Private property cannot be designated for public cross country use, nor can it be designated as a trail.

I still don't see what you're getting at, and it seems to me you're pulling some BS trying to knock on some other parks.

Attachments

#20 ·
I still don't see what you're getting at, and it seems to me you're pulling some BS trying to knock on some other parks.
some people act like everything they do is for the the good of our sport when their real agenda is to cause trouble for some . I know of at least one park in michigan she wont have to worry about having a orv sticker or not because shes not welcome on the property.

#16 ·
Here's another point to it. The state charges for an ORV sticker to fund state ORV areas. In my opinion, that's the only function of the ORV sticker, to make sure that you have paid your fair share. IF, and I say IF the private parks were required to implement and ORV sticker rule, they should be able to request ORV funds for their park.

#19 ·
x2

Also Have you ever been in an accident in a parking lot?

Same type of situation it is still Private property even if public use is allowed.

#21 ·
rick, she's not trying to cause trouble, you have the problem of not finding the facts yourself. we wish all the parks sucess-sorry if that confuse's you.

also what was discussed in the office was since the parks are "Business's"; and you can ask wes there rick, if you allow drinking in your campground, it must be seperated from the park by a fence so as not to allow patrons entry. That is why they have their "fence" at TT, untill they get financially stable, where they have plans to fence it all off with a seperate entrance to the parking area.

And since it is a business, the DNR can enter the property to enfore the orv and plates, most times they will not unless complaints are made, just like local and state police.

As for your opinion on not being welcomed on the properety, that's only your opinion, if it's true have WES, Donny, Gary or even Dale post it on this thread, 3 of them watch what we post anyways.

#22 ·
and before you can post it, the above was not a threat in anyway shape or form, just what ORV and park staus quo.

and if that isn't sufficient, then join us at the district offices and hear it from the officials themselves.

#24 ·
HOLY SHIT, PRIVATE PARKS SHOULD NOW HAVE ORV STICKERS AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE THEN!!!!111!!1!1!11!!!1!!!oMfGoMfGoMfGoMfGoMfGoMfGoMfGoMfGvoMfGoMfGoMfGoMfGoMfGoMfGoMfGoMfGoMfGoMfGoMfGoMfGoMfGoMfGoMfGoMfGoMfGoMfGoMfGoMfGoMfGoMfGoMfGoMfGoMfGoMfGoMfGoMfGoMfGoMfGoMfGoMfGoMfGoMfGoMfGoMfGoMfGoMfGoMfGoMfGoMfGoMfGoMfG

#25 ·
What about demolition derbys? I'm surprised the DNR isn't busted those things up left and right!! And those cars are clearly in an off road circumstance, and even being erosive!

What happens if their ORV sticker is properly put on a smooth surface, and the bumper is knocked off? Do they get a ticket if they go get the bumper and explain to the DNR officer that the bumper was attached to the car at the start of the event?

#27 · (Edited)
ORV Land Use Definitions

The DNR administers over four million acres of state-owned land used for a variety of purposes. Wise use of those lands includes preserving natural features and wildlife habitat and encouraging a variety of recreational uses. Just as other users are limited in their activities in order to protect and conserve these vital resources while minimizing conflicts with other activities, ORV enthusiasts are restricted in where and how they may operate.

Signs that you may see on state roads, trails, and routes are shown on the Trail Signs page.

The following terms may be used when describing where or how ORVs may be operated on state-owned lands.

* Designated: Any place that is posted as open for ORV use with appropriate signs.
* Designated Area: An area that has signs for cross-country ORV use posted by the DNR. An ORV license is required.
* Designated Route: A forest road or other road that is designated by the DNR for ORV use.
* Forest Roads: Hard-surfaced roads, gravel or dirt roads, or other routes capable of travel by a 2‑wheel-drive, 4-wheel conventional vehicle designed for highway use, except an interstate, state, or county highway.
* Forest Trails: Designated paths or ways capable of travel only by a vehicle less than 50 inches in width.
* Highway: The entire width between the boundary lines of a way publicly maintained when any part of the way is open to the use of the public for purposes of vehicular travel.
* Designated ORV Trail: Designated paths or ways that can only be traveled by vehicles that are less than 50 inches in width. An ORV license is required.

#29 · (Edited)
It is really very plain and simple. The ORV laws in the state of Michigan are so filled with gray areas, that the laws are left to interpretation by the various DNR Districts. Ask two different districts the same question, you get two different answers.

After years of going to ORV Advisory meetings ( we are speaking of a period over two decades ), it has been proven over and over again that most DNR officers don't even have a clue ( not entirely their fault ), so they make up their own interpretations.

The only way you can really clarify this entire topic is to take a trip to the next ORV Advisory meeting ( Nov 4th )and find out the "Real Deal". Make sure to take your blood pressure medication before you go though, those meetings will make your blood boil.

The lawmakers DO want to eliminate four wheeling on state lands and they DO want four wheeling entirely pushed off into private off road parks. They CANNOT dictate the use of ORV stickers on private off road parks without relinquishing some of their ORV dollars to the private parks, which they are NOT about to do at this time. :thumb:

#31 ·
The only way you can really clarify this entire topic is to take a trip to the next ORV Advisory meeting ( Nov 4th )and find out the "Real Deal". Make sure to take your blood pressure medication before you go though, those meetings will make your blood boil.
I agree that the meetings are annoying, but the thought of what was said in this thread is totally laughable, and can not be true in any gray area. The government DOES NOT have the right to come into private property and tell consumers that they need something that is designed for STATE LAND. Sure the government over steps their boundaries in gray zones, but NO DNR REP would ever say they have the power to go unto private property and issue any forms of citation for not having an ORV permit.

And wavemaker saying that there is a difference between private property and "a business". WTF, are businesses public property now? :sonicjay::sonicjay:

Here I am sitting in my office of a BUSINESS which is private property. If the police came in and said they wanted to walk around (without just reason) I can, and would tell them to get the f' out of here. Not that it would ever happen (and the OCS are good people around here) but that is how ludicrous the claim is.

#30 ·
well Dave & julie(since were somehow on a fisrt name basis now )for not trying to cause trouble she sure spreads a lot of it around and thats not something anyone paying attention is confused about. tell us how in "researching " orv sticker facts anything about drinking in a campground at a private off road park was brought up the officers say by the way ....while we're checking orv stickers ...you brought it up to cause shit for former friends.you guys just want to get in any dig you can . The dusters probably have the good sense not to post anything about you or you will stir more shit. why dont you post some pictures of your next trip the park they ll be from the parking lot on your way out.
seems like plenty of facts posted here to make a reasonale person realize what you posted isnt right really just because a dnr officer says something is the law dosent mean it really is the law.

#34 · (Edited)
WELL When one builds a park . They make the right calls to the right people and KNOW WHAT THE HELL THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT> Wait that is WHAT I DID> Do I need to post the links again .. I say She has her own forum and needs to keep her crap there.

CAN EVERYONE SAY

BAN HER:woot::rock::bdr2::sonicjay::beerbang:[/COLOR]

#36 ·
wow, absolutely ludicrous.

I work for a business that advertises, and allows the public onto our property to do business. Just because we are a business, it is still privately owned, and private property. Just like CC said, if a LEO wanted to come snoop around, I would tell them to GTFO. Ever been in a Bar, and seen the sign on the wall that says "we reserve the right to refuse service to anyone"? its there, because the bar is private property, even though it is a business. There are some exceptions, such as fire marshal inspections and whatnot, but the idea that the state could require someone to have an ORV permit, or even SOS plates on private property is a joke.

Its like running off road diesel in your truck on private property, perfectly legal until you put a tire onto a public road.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.