Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Chevy TBI Fuel delivery

1K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Yota Bill 
#1 ·
I am at the point where I need to run fuel lines and figure out my fuel system on my tj. I am running a genright style tank setup with the factory threaded ring, and a 350 tbi with an aftermarket computer. I need to figure out what fuel pump to run to get my pressure down. From what I have read the tbi needs 14 psi and my facotry tj 4.0 fuel pump is 45-50 psi range.

I know that the tbi unit has a built in regulator with a return line to the tank, but would that be too much pressure for it to handle? I have heard of some people on Pirate talking about adapting a chevy fuel pump to tj fuel setup, but I can't find any info on it or can't see how that would even adapt.

#4 · (Edited)
I would also use an aftermarket Pressure Regulator but I would make sure you run a good size return line so your pump wont be working against it's self. A 3/8 line should work fine.

PS: Dont be afraid to run 15psi to it, Chevy TBI responds real nice to a little more fuel pressure. A little! Not 18 or 20 PSI lol!

#6 ·
basic hydraulics...pumps create flow, not pressure...restriction to flow creates pressure (i.e the regulator)...take the line off of the pump and let it run, how much pressure is there? almost zero, what little pressure is there is from the restriction of the pump discharge port...you need to match the pumps flow rate to what the engine needs, not so much the pumps rated pressure handling capability...

of course, if the pump you have flows a considerable amount more fuel then the pump that the regulator was originally designed to work with, then the pressure will be higher due to flooding of the regulator...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.