Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Safety PSA

8K views 52 replies 22 participants last post by  93yj06unlimited 
#1 ·
I have a good friend who lives out of state. He was wheeling with his daughter, coming down a hill and caught a tire. Did a double cartwheel endo.

Because of a full cage and wearing 5 points, the only injury is a few bangs on his daughter and he has a broken collar bone.

He thinks his rig is totaled.

If you think you don't need a cage or harness's, please think again.:thumb:

#8 ·
I've only had the lab belt portion in for one run and I like it, it forces me to wear them. Prior to putting them in I would never wear a seat belt. *Read I'm stupid

The harness style I put in now is uncomfortable not to wear so I actually wear something now.

#22 ·
positively wear your laps, sub and shoulders!! trust me on this one!

it was my rig that Jim was talking about.

we were headed down a very steep hill at the Cliffs (here in IL) and caught a tree stump with the pass front tire. we were only rolling a couple mphs but was steep enough that the rear end came over the top of us when the front tire dead stopped due to the stump.

we went end over end atleast once and then barrel rolled once as well. I remember 2 violent impacts and we came to rest on the d-side. I made sure my daughter was ok and we proceeded to climb out.

sorry, no pics since it was the last thing on my mind. the cage did it's job as well as the harmess' and we walked away. many spots on the rig that are bent or tweaked badly and the frame is bent quite a bit too.

I should know by next week if we can save it (is it worth whatever labor needed) and if we can't, then I'll be going to most likely a tube chassis and swap all my stuff over to that.

thanks for posting Jim. just wanted a reminder out there for everyone to please not take safety for granted. it only takes once.

I'll be in a sling for about a month letting the broken collarbone heal and I'll be lucky to wheel anytime this year. even more frustrating after being out for the last 2 years due to major surgery on my right shoulder and now one mistake and I'm for a while again (I'll be healed before we can get a rig together).

guess I'll have to shoot for the next Snofari :thumb:

figured posting would clear up some questions that folks might have

#27 ·
Glad you are OK Steve. Now you can build a real wheeling rig.......... read: jeep. :teehee:

now that REALLY hurts!!! :finger:

honestly, 2 ways this plays out...
1- it's savable and we rebuild it
2- I buy a tube chassis and swap everything over to it. if this happens, it will have an s10 or Silverado front clip to sport the bowtie :naughty:

thanks though Jim, I appreciate it.

#32 ·
For those who still only have lap belts you should have harnesses or shoulder belts. There is a really good chance my father would still be alive today. He had a 73 CJ5 with only lap belts, which allowed his upper body to lean out of the jeep and take a good majority of impact in his accident and killed him instantly. A shoulder belt or harness could have saved his life. It was the worst day of my life having the police come to my door to tell me my father was dead. RIP DAD!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.