Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

One Ton Waggy build

12K views 78 replies 23 participants last post by  alexdummy 
#1 ·
Figured I might as well do a build page on it. Here goes

The what?? A 68' waggy. $150 with a deal with a buddy. (Axels for sale!) Over all good shape for the year, and done mostly right. Like the rust that started on the floor so they put down good sheet metal down on the whole floor pan back seat to firewall... but they did some as another memeber called it booty-fab on some of the other places.

The goal with this is to pull the stock axels (done), motor (350 Buick), Trans and replace them with a d60 (will get locker), 14b (is welded), and 455 Pontiac (with a mild cam). Get it up on like about 38's or so and wheel/drive this thing a bit. on with the pics and progress..

On the truck (my dad is a mechanic and wrecker service) just getting home

Hauling some scrap that we dug out to get to the motor on the back of the truck that had the heads we needed. And off goes the rest of the block (the one on the very back)

While at the yard we found some potential springs, which we had removed and picked up a couple days later.

Stock handles (most of them are gone...) and some more yard scrounging found some replacements that I like better anyway...

Stock

Yard goodies

The Dana 60 that will end up under the jeep

The 14b and d44 that were under my blazer/truggie are going under for now

Sitting side by side getting ready for axel swapping

In the prep time we got the heads back and on the motor sprayed a lil paint on there for looks and almost ready to drop in.

Well onto the first real wrenching on the jeep itself. After swapping front axels on dad’s dd/plow truck for ubolts (he had another and new bolts for it) we swapped a pair of 10bolts under the blazer so we could have the 14 and 44 for the jeep. We got to work in the heep

After the 14 was under the heep

The next session got interrupted by the need to fix some roofing. We got 5 sheets of new OSB put up.

Now back to work...

Got the front out and put it out by the rear we took out a few days before.

Then got to putting in the springs from the yard as you can see the driver’s spring was wasted and the pass didn’t look much better. The springs were taller too (made me happy)

Steering box and mount bracket look about as good as the steering linkage off the old axel did so there will be some fixing there. And the fronts are longer than the old ones so we will be moving the shackle mount a bit to unbind the springs. the rear we are going to remake the hangers altogether and move (the springs need to come together a bit. witch we guess will raise the back about 5 or so inches. and we will do what we have to make the front match.

I think we have figured out what we are going to do for fuel too. A buddy has a plastic tank in a j10 that we will mount into he back. The bottom will be higher than the frame rails and will stick trough the floor in the back, we will box it in and build a sub-floor with storage bins around the tank so that when the back seat is folded it will be flat from the back of the front seat to the tailgate. (Pics for visualizing later)

So in capping for now. Some before and after,

Before

After

Before

After

And one just after doing the front

And the same shot with a jack under the back to see about what it will be with the back done

Fenders will be trimmed to fit and tires put on later

I will update as progress is made... let me know what you guys think!

See less See more
#12 ·
come on now. i only did that with the jeep, there was no other way that thing would go where i wanted.. i didnt do that to the blazer and will have to baby this thing.

but mud and such will be fun to let the ponies run

and the yard is McPikes, out by bloomingdale

#13 ·
well made progress on the jeep this weekend, got the rear spring hangers remade and replaced the rear springs

as it sat, sat morning before we got it in and started working on it.

we got the old springs out and made the measurements for the new hardware.

the brackets made up and getting ready for install.

new and old springs with the center pins lined up.

the new and old springs standing next to each other the old was 49" and the new (off a newer style wagoneer) where 55'',

new and old springs arch are about the same, should have about the same rate and be about the same ride height

tacked on brackets

getting axle back under the jeep for real weight testing

how it is with weight on them

how the tire is sitting in the well, we moved it back about 1 1/2 inches from stock

dj stopped by and got a couple of me getting ready to clean the frame rails for the final welding on the rear brackets

brackets welded up

we got the springs bolted back on and put it back outside till next time, sitting much better now, there are still a few changes to make in the front, like the weight of the drivetrain, winch ect. and we still need to fix the front shackle mounts, but over all this should be close to how it will sit, give or take a couple of inches. if it is not high enough i can get a small lift for a newer waggoner and now they will bolt on..

as she sits at the end of the weekend with the rear raised up about 5-6'' from where it was.. the wheelbase is 113 inches now with the rear axle back

till next time.....

#17 ·
well i don't think any real work will be done tomorrow but we are slated to to some scavenging, for some much needed parts, as a buddy / friend of dads (also a mechanic) has a waggy and a j-10, and the j-10 is in rough shape underneath and he is gonna scrap it so we are grabbing some things off it before it goes, mainly the ends of the frame rails (steering box and parts) and the gas tank ,

#22 · (Edited)
well i think the pics from yesterday just about explain it all, we where after the frame horns (mostly for the steering box ), gas tank (which will be recessed into my floor from the bottom), the wheels and tires where dads so we took those back home. the axles and a few other pieces the owner was keeping, the jeep don't look to bad but the thing was very rusty, to the point that the frame had been plated and was still rusting in two,

first was getting it out the hole it was in

the first thing to come off was the front axle

then we clipped the frame

switched up the truck and got the rear

got the tank out while we where back there

set the truck down and strapped the cab intending to pick the whole thing up, but the rusty thing wouldn't stay together

so we made pieces. the only thing holding the driver side frame rail was the wires and brake lines on that side.

loaded up ready to snag a few parts off the cab then it goes to scrap

parts pile

the waggy that is replacing the j10 with plow duties

should be chopping off the frame horns and grafting on the ones we got off the truck and re mounting the front shackle mounts, then getting the motor mounts and drive train mocked up soon.

#25 ·
ok, got some more done over the weekend, we got the two frames cut spliced and glued back in place, it sits a little high in the nose again but that is needed as the drive train in not in place yet, that should be next time

First we made sure the real heater was working (my 200,000 vs. his 50,000 Btu)

Started by trimming/cleaning off the new section of frame

Got the old section cut out

Found a crack in it after we got it out. Makes me feel even better that we are putting in a better piece

You can see the extra in the ends of the frame that make it stronger (and has a newer more common better steering box design also).

Tacking the new section in

Laying a bead

We moved the front shackles forward about 2 1/2 inches (you can see on the frame where the old rivets held it on)

Went back and plated the two half’s together as well.

Shot a little paint on the fresh welds and went under the back and got some on there too to try and keep the rust away. On the rear suspension mounts we made

You can see in the truck from underneath for now

we also had gotten the steering box mounted in and got the steering shaft hooked up so all we needed was something to connect the two so we could steer around the yard so we don’t have to carry it with the big truck all the time and could just use a pickup and strap, We used an old steering arm and glued it and heated so we could bend it for the angel and stuck it on there, and will suite the need just fine. (And is still better than the garbage that was on the heep when I got it.)

NOTE: THIS IS NOT PERMANENT, THIS IS TEMPARARY USE ONLY AND FOR DRIVEWAY USE ONLY, A NEW AND CORRECT SETUP WILL BE FABBED ONCE THE PERMANT (SEE: DANA 60) AXEL IS IN PLACE.

And as it sits now. (Again a bit high in the front, but still missing drive train.)

Next installment should be driveline mockup and fitment, and making motor mounts and such.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.