Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

How this pattern am look

974 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  dune coon 
#1 ·
I used Scooter's recent post for guidance, but I figured I could use some expert opinions here...please chime in with your input. I know this pattern is shallow...but backlash is currently at 0.008 - won't that decrease quite a bit when I shim the ring gear side?

For reference - this is a D60 HP 5.13 gearset, new install. These pictures are my first setup.

What's the best way to get a clearer pattern - I see on Scooter's pics, it stands out much more than mine.

See less See more
#3 ·
Use a piece of wood between the housing and the ring gear/carrier to create some drag so you get a more defined wipe of the gear teeth.

You have to set the backlash every time you adjust the pinion depth. Get the right amount of spacers to get a tight slip fit for the carrier into the bearing caps, once you have the numbers for each side figured out then you work on getting the pinion depth correct.

By the looks of it, you need more work on the pinion depth before getting the backlash narrowed down any more.

Dont forget the proper bearing preloads (pinion most importantly) while you are doing all of the setting up or your pattern will change drastically.

#4 ·
cool...thanks to both of you for the tips. I tore it down and set it back up 7 times, now I've got perfect bearing loads, 0.008 backlash, and a sweet looking pattern

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.