Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

collapsed lifter :( Pics page 2

3K views 24 replies 12 participants last post by  hamsmotorsports 
#1 · (Edited)
This weekend at silver lake I managed to collapse a lifter in my Mopar 360. Comp cams less then few thousand miles. What can cause this? 5500 rpm all day? Lol

#11 ·
I did the proper break in and additives and all that.

I just think running at those RPMs finally caught up to it and collapsed it. I have not drained the oil yet to see if there is metal in there... so it is very possible its a bad lifter / cam lobe.

I did some reading and people are saying those lifters do not like prolong high RPM.... So do I limit my RPM down to 5k or do a solid lifter cam?

#13 ·
Guess I never thought of that....

Seems like a lot of people with the comp cams have had lifter issues. I remember hearing they had a recall on their lifters.... ? Either way I'll pull it apart and see if the cam is gone. I'll keep ya all posted!

#16 ·
comp cams lifters have been known to have issues. my neighbors 427 BBC had brand new CC lifters in them and he just had 4 of them come totally apart in the motor. the cheap circlip that holds the body together broke. the engine only had maybe 5 hours of run time at best.

#15 ·
The zddp additive is the only thing that will keep the cam and lifters happy until they have MANY hours on them. From what I have read, the zddp impregnates the metal making for a surface that will withstand the extremely high loads the cam nose sees during operation.
Most cam manufacturer's also offer Nitriding (an additional hardening process) of cams at an additional charge to insure better break in results. Cam and lifter break in is a longer process than most people understand.

#19 ·
It seems to me that car craft had a write up in the last month or so about cam and lifter break in procedures and oil comparisions. Maybe worth reading up on. Oil has changed alot for the worse in the last few years. I'll check the "library" and see what month it was in

#24 ·
who knows what is to blame. I don't think running wally world oil helps any as i've heard it degrades quick. I'll start throwing in zinc additives as I do not want to repeat this.

They do, however its not worth the cost. I bought a howards cam and lifters which will arrive in the morning ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.